What prop for a PT185 w/90hp

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Frets

Reaction score
I will be ordering a brand spankin' new PT185 from BPS either this or next weekend. It will be my first boat, and I'm told that a SS prop will make boat go zoom better.

1. Buy from dealer as part of package or go aftermarket?

2. Recommendations if answer is aftermarket.

2002 PT185 with 90Merc. They quoted me $365 for the SS prop.

Paul, I have a PT185 but it has the standard aluminum prop and I'm not sure if anyone on the board has that same setup with a stainless. There's a guy down your way, I think Temple, that used to have a PT185 with a stainless steel prop. His name is Skipper (Skip) Bishop. A really nice guy that would be glad to tell you about his experiences with the 185 and a SS prop. He hangs out at the Bass Fishing Network web site. Give him a hollar at the site link below and tell him that his friends over at Notro/Tracker says hey!
http://www.bassfishingnetwork.com/open_topics/

I found a java-based prop selector at mercurymarine.com. They have a link to the thing on their front page.

BTW, the selector is recommending a 21 pitch prop, and has part numbers for Mercury branded props.

Paul, I believe my stock aluminum prop is 12-3/4x21. I don't know much about props but I don't think a 21 inch aluminum and a 21 inch stainless would give the same performance. In the same breath though I don't think on the 90hp a stainless would give you much better performance than what the stock aluminum would. All this based on me not knowing anything about props, just enough to be dangerous.

I did a bit of research on prop selection before buying my boat. One of the articles I found said that the best prop for my boat would be a Black Max aluminum 3-blade in 14x23. The boat being tested ran a 21 pitch SS prop and topped out at 52.

When I finally got my boat, I didn't order a replacement prop. I checked the stock prop that came with it and it was a Black Max aluminum 3-blade in 14x23. Loaded (3 guys at 200lbs+each, gas, and gear, I can hit 57.

I guess my point is that I'd be very careful with replacing your stock prop, since it may already be matched to your boat and motor. I'm still interested in getting a good quality SS prop, but my hopes aren't high that it will out-perform what I already have. A SS prop may resist dings and dents better than aluminum, but I'm perfectly happy to run with what my boat has.

MO

"Little kids and cordless drills and boats don't mix."

OK MO I want the story behind "Little kids and cordless drills and boats don't mix."

Trep:

(Maybe this is TRUE, and maybe it AIN'T. I'm not confessin' NOTHIN'.)

In your mind's eye, picture a sunny summer afternoon when you're outside trying to fix a leaky, riveted aluminum boat. The only solution a do-it-yerselfer can think of is to drill out the loose rivets, and replace them with stainless bolts, washers and rubber gaskets.

You set your drill down on the pavement, and as you go into the garage to grab a couple a more bolts, in the distance you hear "whhirrrrrrr" and then GGGZZZZTTTTZZTT!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, it's only one more nut, bolt and rubber gasket you gotta install.

(Keep in mind: I'm not saying that I KNOW THE GUY to whom this happened, an' ifn anybody asks me in person, I'll deny, deny, deny that I know anything about this.)

But is shore is funny, ain't it?

By the way, lest you get to worrying . . .

a small child can't control the drill enough to do more than scratch the paint on an aluminum boat. But imagine if it had been 'glass.

MO

Paul, I have a 99 185 with a 90 and I put a 13 1/4x21 Turbo prop on after I purchased mine, and it run pretty good.

Latest posts

Back