What a Long Strange Trip It's Been

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Smith

Reaction score
Well I certainly have not been here as much as in the past. I see there are alot of new members, or else a bunch of members have changed their names.

I thought I would stop in for a few, and update those of you who recall on my health (stage 1 melanoma excised from forehead). For those of you who recall, a stage 1 is recoverable for 95% of the patients diagnosed. Mine was excised completely. All tests came back negative, including a PetScan which shows any and all cancer and its locations in your body. Since early December, I have had numerous x-rays, a bone scan, 2 CAT scans and 2 MRI's of my head and neck as well as the full body PetScan which is a combination of a CAT scan and P.E.T. scan, where you are injected with a serum which goes directly and only to cancer cells in your body. When the CAT scan is overlayed with the PET scan, the cancer will show up as red areas in your body. Like I said, none was found in me. I recieved that news back in early January, and must continue to follow up with my Oncologist for a period of time. And obviously visit my dermotoligist every 6 months for the rest of my life.

But, as often happens with visits to the Doc for one ailment, another is oftentimes uncovered. While going through the cancer screenings via the scans, a suspicious area was located inside my brain on the right side of my head. Cancer has obviously been ruled out. I'm currently seeing a neurologist, her opinion varies on what she is seeing. She refers to the area as "an area of abnormal brain tissue, that is not currently acute," meaning that it is not currently active(bleeding, spreading ect.). Based on what she see's, I should be having some obvious neurological symptoms if it was some sort of infection, virus or disease. However, I have passed all her nuerological tests and am completely absent of any symptoms. Therefore she is beginning to lean toward it being something I've always had (I have no other baseline than my current scans). Or possibly an old injury where I suffered a concussion (based on many years of playing football and wrestling this is a distinct possibility, as I did suffer several minor concussions during my playing days). Currently she is leaving my head alone and does not feel a spinal tap is in order at this time since it's not acute and I'm having no symptoms, my last MRI was in late January and it showed no change from early December, I am to have my next MRI in August (or earlier if I began having nuero problems). If things have not changed by then, it is her opinion that nothing is going on in my melon.

So that's been my winter in a nutshell. Pretty darn stressful and scary for my wife and I. We are carrying on and trying not to think about what's going on in my melon, if anything. My wife has been a saint throughout this whole ordeal, I really have no way to repay the support she has given to me. I'm definately looking forward to spring and getting out on the water, just went to BPS yesterday and restocked. I've signed up my daughter and I for the NBAA circuit and we will be fishing one of the monday night divisions starting in June. She's excited to be fishing with her Pops, but I think I'm more excited to have her taggin along. Life is Good.

See Ya.....Smitty

Smitty...

Glad to read that on balance everything seems to be a lot better than it could have been...

Now, as far as the abnormal area of the brain... Could be an occupational requirement... Even now, long retired as I look back I can't think of a real good reason why I stayed in law enforcement except that maybe I too had some abnormal brain areas...

Good luck...

Sounds like everything is working out for you Smitty. Enjoy the time fishing with your daughter. Now thats special.:)

Smitty,

I'm glad to hear it's not as bad as it could have been for you. Keep us posted

Glad things are working out for you. It is because of you I finally decided to have some of my own questionable spots looked at. Everything turned out to be fine. Always wear sunscreen. Have a good one, Chris F.:cool:

Good to hear from you again and good to hear that Melanoma is as good as gone. Now, Greg does have some abnormal areas but don't worry, it has nothing to do with being a Police Officer. (we let greg think it is but it's really not...) Take care Smitty and take care of yourself.

Uncle Billy, formerly just Bill until me! and Bill in VA insisted:)

Smitty - VERY good to hear from you and that you are back on the healthy track!!

Good luck with everything Smitty!

Great news Smitty! I wouldn't worry too much about the "abnormal" thing, look around you.............with this bunch???????:rolleyes::D

Glad you're gonna be OK

BruceM

We all have some abnormal spots in our brains, that's why we get up at 0 dark thirty to go throw plastic stuff at fish all day in the rain. Glad to hear all is O.K.

Gene

it is her opinion that nothing is going on in my melon.

Hey Smitty...We've suspected this ever since you decided to put that 150 on the back of your TV18!!!:lol:

Seriously, I'm glad to hear everythings going according to plan, and you're doing well. Stop by and see me sometime. I really missed BASS U. this year. Gotta make sure and go next year.

Craig

That IS good news.....hope to drag race with you down M-59/Hall Rd again real soon!:p

Mac

The 'getting out and fishing' will make it all better....

What time were you at bass pro?

I was there saturday....missed ya!

az

Thanks for all the well wishes. I really appreciate it.

Andy, I was at BPS around noontime, stayed for a couple hours, it was a complete madhouse. Felt like I had the hell beat out of me after fighting my way up and down the fishin aisles.

Mac...I'll drag race you anytime buddy....!!! Just picked up my new truck a few days ago, Ram 1500 "Big Horn" edition, and yes it has a HEMI...it'll have to be soon though before the truck gets stolen, seems to happen to about 1 out of every 3 Ram owners around here with the 20 inch rims.

Craig... I will be seeing you soon I'm sure. Now that we are approaching spring, I'm in BPS about twice a month if not more.

And yes...to all the Michigan Mafia members...I would love to attend this years get together on the pond. After hearing some of the stories and seeing a few of the pictures, I think it may be prudent that an individual with the ability to get people OUT of trouble tags along...LOL

See Ya....Smitty

Smitty,...we'd welcome you with open arms into the MVM!!...We could use a member with your "skills" LOL

aye aye on the madhouse!

I think we were there around 3:30....Left just after dark...

...and NO green pumpkin baby brush hogs!!!!

az

Latest posts

Back