Weirdest thing you've caught . . .

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Well, after yesterday's tournament, I have now caught and landed the strangest thing I've ever had come back.

Fishing Lake Greenwood in SC (temp 64 degrees, windy), our first club tournament of the year. Had one nice fish in the well (turned out to be big fish worth a couple of bucks to me, at 3.2 lbs), and was trying to put something else in with it.

Fishing around some docks/coves running a lipless crankbait in and around. All of a sudden, decent weight - and no vibration. I figured it was another brushpile/limb that I had hooked. Kept bringing it to the boat, slowly and surely. When it got there, lo and behold, it was a catfish - head! That's right, only the head, and it looked like it came off of a pretty decent sized catfish (probably 8-10 pounder).

We got a good laugh from it, and even took a picture.

Came in second as a Team; Number 3 (out of 12) as an individual, and the big fish. Nice getting a few bucks back.

Tex

I've caught a few Drum, Buffalo, and catfish on crankbaits, but never just the head.

Harpo

While fishing boat docks in a tourney recently I hung something. Pulled it up and it was a plano tackle box with two bricks inside and was, of course, full of water saya alot for the Ande Backcountry Mono I was using.

Caught a Ray in the Chesapeake Bay one day while casting top-waters for Blues. It was snagged but I didn't know that and all I saw for quite awhile was a fin so I thought it was a a good sized shark. Took me almost 20 minutes to get it to the boat and then I just cut the line. Nothing else I could do and I am sure he/she was ok. Strange looking critter and VERY big.

Bill

Now that's what you call a hookset guys, tore the head clean off that puppy. It's not that weird but it was a big snapping turtle and you can bet I let him keep my jig.

Mallard drake....in flight. Was a long cast with a Zara Spook for breaking fish. While the lure was airborn, two ducks come over the trees and caught the line, it was ugly, and loud, and splashed a lot. Good part is that the duck was released alive and well.

I caught a mussel will jigging a spoon

for white bass and what appeared to be

some recently used toilet paper.

My partner's head. Don't ever come to the front of the boat without telling me!! After a trip to the E-Room, he ended up catching a 7#. He thought it was worth it!!

Me probably just a drum. When my dad was a teenager or around that age he hooked a scooba diver! (out at Lake Hefner for ya'll okies...now think about that one for a minute) The guy couldn't get mad or anything because he was doing it illegally (scooba diving is allowed in Hefner). He was looking for somestuff that fell out of his boat.

BJ

I caught a nice gator at Lake Fork. Needless to say it broke my line!

Ed

A Muskrat...angry little sucker!

I found this info about them ont he web...you can add crankbaits to their "diet"

Diet: Primarily aquatic plants including cattails, arrowheads, and duckweeds. Occasionally eats crayfish, snails, mussels, frogs, insects, and slow-moving fish.

Corey

10 pound snapping turtle on a crank bait, a few snakes on snags, a few catfish (whole ones).

Come to think of it, I caught a fishing pole once. It had a 5 pound catfish still attached to it. It was at a small farm pond, a buddy's kid left his pole unattended and didn't realize it was gone until I snagged it with a crank bait. We split the catfish.

I caught a cottonmouth, he got off, was pi$$ed, came after the boat, my buddy smacked him with a boat paddle, never saw it again!

I also caught a blackfish (I think they call it), had a fin top and bottom running the length of its body. Hit the Manns jelly worm like a bass. I cut the line. Nastiest thing I ever saw.

Caught a gar trolling in Dale Hollow once. An interesting fish to get off the lure - all teeth. A big bullfrog with a worm. Scared the C#### out of me when I saw him hit it from the shore with just his tongue.

david.....

Late at night in the Mississippi River on a nightcrawler - an eel about 2 1/2 feet long..... Talk about a nightmare! I didn't go anywhere near the end of that line.....

me!

Caught an 80 lb snapper on jig and pig. Darndest thing you ever saw. The snapper put up the best fight I ever had. Tough getting the jig out of his mouth though without losing a finger or a chunk of your arm.

I think LaMoy has everybody beat...If I remember correctly he snagged a "female satisfaction device" .......no not a credit card........one of the soft plastic ones. He said it had swelled considerably after obviouslly being in the water for a while....either that or..............nevermind.

I won't even try to top that.

TOXIC

Richard-

That would be a "dogfish" around here...actually a bowfin is it's proper name...I think it has about 10 names...

I got a couple weird ones...anybody ever catch a burbot? they're in the cod family...pretty ugly...caught it here in the St. Joe river...also caught a spoon-billed catfish (paddlefish) in IN...talk about a pre-historic looking fish!!!

Tex - Congrats on the Tourney fishes, sounds like this year it starting of RIGHT!!!

I've got a cabin on a little 25 acre lake in Franklin IL. No landing, so I use a little john boat that barley floats. One bright sunny spring day, I was sitting in a pedastal seat tossing a lizard to cover. I felt a tap tap and my line slowly headed for deeper water. I took up the slack and attempted to set the hook but the seat gave out and I did a Greg Luganis into the drink. I held on to my rod and real but my new Oakley sun glasses were gone.

About six months later, there were about 20 of us sitting around the campfire. We got on the subject of "strangest things we've ever caught" one of my friends spoke up and said "well I caught a pair of Oakley shades today on a shad rap".

Yep you gussed it... They were mine and covered with moss that I was unable to remove. I called the company and explained what happend and they sent me a new pair.

What are the odds?

I've caught a clam, a couple turtles, a rod & reel, trees, my clothing, docks, and weirdest of all...me. No, this me not that ME.

Gene

Yup, a strap on "male anatomy" one time in the river with salmom fishing. It was hillarious! NOW, I've caught everything. LOL

Some years ago when I lived in Virginia, I caught a GAR once and I also caught a few BOWFIN. A Bowfin looks like something prehistoric.

My youngest son was fishing with me in a tournament. He was fishing a plastic worm when he yelled, I think I've got something. I watched as his line darted from one side to the other with anticipation. He finally got it to the boat.

It was a 12oz Bud-Light can he had snagged in the center of the can. As he pulled it in it seemed to dart from left to right to left, etc.

He gets a big kick out of telling people about catchin' a 12 oz'er in the tournament.

RoyC

2lb Bull Frog on 7" Berkley Power Worm.

A crawfish on a night crawler.

My son caught a Seagull on a live shad.

Let's see, I've caught a big bull frog, a seagull, and my line got tangled with some old fishing line and I finally got it all to the boat and when I pull it up there was about a 5 lb catfish and a bobber still attached to the other line.

AndyZ.. did some research and you're right. Bowfin is the mudder I caught.

Another strange catch was (and it might take a southern boy to know what I am about to relate.

I caught about a 4 inch warmouth bream on a blue fire tail, 6 inch ringworm with a 2/0 hook!

How he ever got the hook in there I'll never know.

Well I have caght many a fish....A 4lb bass on a 5 inch live blue gill. ( Had the blugill on a Bobber and worm fishing for them and the durndest thing happened... a big ol' bucket mouth hit the poor little blue gill.)

T.S.

A "Stargazer" Caught between Hatteras and Occracoke Islands while flounder fishing back in 78. Shaped like a teardrop weighed about 5-6 lbs and would shock the crap out of ya!! Only one person on the outer banks (that we asked) could tell us what it was... Oh the blurrrrrred memories KB

A pair of "tighty whity" men's underware.

I just cut the line as close as I could and let them sink.

Back