Weird Trolling Motor Problem.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Muniz

Reaction score
My boat has been laid up for about 3 years due to time contraints and motor problems. Most of that time has been spent under a cover exposed to the elements but last fall I got a portable garage so it was indoors last winter.

This spring I had the motor repairs done and I took it out for it's maiden voyage yeasterday. (3 months after the repairs, I know, remember "time constraints"?)

This is a Tracker Tournament TX17 with the Motorguide 43# trolling motor.

For some odd reason, the motor housing is turned 180 degrees from the direction indicator on the motor head. The foot control when in the center "neutral" position is going in the exact opposite direction of the indicator. to go forward I have to press the foot control all the way forward or all the way back.

I thought the cable might be twisted and tried spinning the foot control around a couple turns in either direction with no effect.

I think I need to adjust the cable at the foot control.

Anybody know how this is done?

Those little indicators are terrible. Mine used to move all the time. I dont think its the motor. Just turn the little indicator until it matches the motor. Ive since swapped the MG for a Minn Kota.

Jaws

Like I said it's not the indicator so much it's the position of the foot control. When the foot control is centered the motor is going in the opposite direction (backwards). I want the motor facing forward when the foot control is centered. Understand?

disconect the cables-turn motor 180 deg-re-connect the cables ....that should do it

flip the foot controller over and take off bottom plate then do as stated above

I have the 52lb thrust...but on mine, you can take the plastic "lid" off the top of the motor and adjust the indicator....not very hard to do...it's pretty obvious when you get inside...

az

Looked at it a little closer tonight. Motor is actually running backwards. Somehow the polarity is reversed?!?!?

They did some work to my steering helm along with the engine work I think they might of reversed the wires on the fuesblock. Battery connections and trolling motor plug connections haven't changed.

That's the only thing I can think of. I didn't get to check the fuse block- not enough time.

Latest posts

Back