Walmart stepping it up in the fishing section

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alvin Roberts

Reaction score
I went by Wal-Mart yesterday and noticed they are stepping up in the fishing department. They are now carrying new Abu Garcia reals, Shimano, lots of new, better rods, new lures, Plano FTO boxes, tungsten weights...much better selections than usual. It's about time.

If this is true, it is about time. I have not bought any fishing anything other than a stray pack of hooks from there in maybe 5 years......

A few years ago, Walmart started thinking it was Target. The hard goods categories got shallower. Hunting and fishing practically disappeared from most stores. Hardware, home improvement and automotive departments shrank dramatically. More media, electronics, furniture and fashion were brought in to take up the available space, and the aisles were made bigger to improve the "experience."

Walmart customers let Walmart know that they aren't Target, and that's the reason Walmart shoppers shop at Walmart. If they wanted Target, they'd go to Target.

Thankfully, Walmart has seen the error of its ways and is going back toward its traditional merchandising.

Well, I am glad to see them go back toward the traditional way of doing it. They used to have a good selection of fishing/hunting equipment. Then they just cleared it all out except for a few of the cheaper rods/reels, a few bags of worms, and a handful of $1.00 spinnerbaits. I guess when people stop buying the junk you have to make a change...

Rich,..funny analogy!! I once heard a great deffinition of "poverty"....

"It's the imaginary line between Walmart...and Target!" :blink::lol::lol:

Our Walmart sux. They scaled down the hunting/fishing dept to almost nothing. No more guns either. I buy plinking ammo there for my Mini-14 and 10/22.

We must be a "poverty" state, we don't have a Target!! :lol:

What, no rednecks in VT? ;)

I'll have to re-check the Walmart near the house (Fort Worth) to see if anything there has changed. Almost stopped going to the Sporting Goods section since most of the items they were carrying were junk.

Tex

We have lots of rednecks in VT and Walmart still sux!! :lol:

If you go to the fising section online it looks like they have stepped it up quite a bit. I'm gonna have to hit the local WM and see whats up. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah....Was just at the Columbus, MS. WM and was suprised at the changes they've made. Used to be, the only place you could find "Bang" around here was through BassPro, but I found it at WM today. Don't use it much, just giving this as an example of the type of items they're carrying. Also suprised to see some nifty new Plano boxes made for dispensing fishing line and some specific to spinner baits.

Also, if anyone is missing a utility hatch liner, check the plastic storage aisle at WM. I found a couple of grey liners that almost look like they were made for our boat. After searching all the dickens over the place, I still can't believe I actually found them! And they were only $8 apiece! If you check the prices on replacement hatch liners online, you won't find one for our boat. No one makes them anymore.

They may not have everything, but, I learned a long time ago. If you can't find it at WalMart, you probably didn't really need it in the first place!:wub:

Latest posts

Back