VRO Alarm

• Thread starter Greg Meyer [URL]http://www.nsbass.com[/URL]
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
My '93 OMC 115 is in the shop...getting a full rebuild. I've seen the pix from inside the motor...baaaad!!!

Interesting question has arisen. Although the final blow was from a bit of water in the gas...the mechanic says that the VRO was not working properly for quite some time...And, believe me from the internal damage he's got to be right...Question is...there is an alarm, right? If it is not working why isn't the alarm buzzing like crazy. It would start perfect...alarm would beep at key turn indicating all was properly working motor would run...but it was not getting enough oil...Anybody know the mysteries of these "thangs"...
http://www.nsbass.com

Greg, not sure if I'm 100% correct, but if I understand my engine correctly (a 125 mercury 95 model) the oil indicator only applies to the oil resevior. It has a float the alarms when oil level is low. I do not believe it has a sensor that knows when low oil is being pump or not. It only knows when the float falls and your getting low on oil. At least that is how I think my engine works. Maybe yours is the same. Robert

This also happened to a tourney buddy. A valve was stuck partially open. It allowed the cylinders to get enough oil to keep the alarm off, but was overheating and doing damage until one day, it just blew. Don't know if that's possible, but that's what the tech said. My VRO is still fine that I am aware of. Good luck

Scott:

This is why I would rather mix it myself. It may get smokey, or it may be a shade to low, but I know I've got oil going to the motor.

MO

my 90 omc has 2 alarms on it,low oil and no oil.mine was giving me the no oil alarm on a few occasions,so i disconnected it,plugged it and mix it.for my peace of mind now,and besides the 8 hp kicker doesnt need a tank seperately from the main tank now.if im doing a lot of slow speed running,i mix it 50-60:1,all other times it is 50:1.

greg,there should have been a alarm going off if there was no oil,not sure about low oil pressure though.are you going to hook the vro back up or mix?at least with the vro not hooked up you know the motor is getting oil 100% of the time,just dont forget to put oil in the tank.havent forgot to do that yet,but the season didnt start here yet.just cary a 32 oz bottle of oil in the boat,that makes 12-13 gallons of gas,i usually mix it on the 13 side though.when leaving the house on a trip i usually put in 32 oz oil then fill it up.

freaky weather here,in the 60's today.and me having to work!oh well,supposed to rain tomorrow.we need it!

The VRO pump in the johnnyrude products have a glass eye that is used to detect oil flow, if this eye gets fogged over it could cause false alarm or no alarm,It's just one of those things with the VRO system, the difference between Mercury and OMC is Mercurys pump is driven w/ a worm and ring gear off the crankshaft, the OMC pump is drive by vacume.

...1990 GT150....all alarms work when I do the

Clymer manual checks, but I don't get a "chirp"

when I first turn the key....am I supposed to?

Latest posts

Back