Vortex Cap Cracking

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just joined the forum so this is a little late but, the best darn bearing caps are aluminum and they are available on Amazon. They are the best out there, Period! Be sure to keep your larger diameter O rings. You will need them.

Attachments

• Screenshot (45).png
    Screenshot (45).png
    596.4 KB · Views: 0
Just joined the forum so this is a little late but, the best darn bearing caps are aluminum and they are available on Amazon. They are the best out there, Period! Be sure to keep your larger diameter O rings. You will need them.
So what makes them the "Best"???

They were well made, I have traveled over 1000 miles with zero issues, perfect fitment, and great pricing. Just my experience and opinion. They also look great. They are not plastic!

I replaced mine with billet aluminum. As had replaced the plastic ones several times and had to repack the bearings every time, as water gets inside when they crack without you knowing, till the grease starts flying all over the boat and fenders.

There is a recall on the plastic caps, the dealer will replace them with metal ones at no cost. I don't know if that applies to other than the original owner.
I never got a recall notice for the plastic caps. My trailer is a 2021. When did the recall notice go out?

I got a recall notice on the hub nuts not being properly torqued. When I took it in to get that checked, they found 2 cracked plastic caps and then replaced all 4 with metal ones. I think they said it was a service bulletin. Maybe recall was not the right term for the caps. Not sure what their process is on notifying about the caps.

At the end of the day no matter how or where you get replacement caps make them the billet aluminum. The plastic will always be questionable. Don't wait until you have a failure, be proactive. The plastic ones are not ok. The ones I got off of Amazon are billet aluminum. They look great and are good quality. Replace your plastic caps and have confidence.

Attachments

• Screenshot (45).png
    Screenshot (45).png
    596.4 KB · Views: 0
I got a recall notice on the hub nuts not being properly torqued. When I took it in to get that checked, they found 2 cracked plastic caps and then replaced all 4 with metal ones. I think they said it was a service bulletin. Maybe recall was not the right term for the caps. Not sure what their process is on notifying about the caps.
Got the recall on the hubs. But nothing was said about problems with the caps. Will have to check up on that. Just had one of the wheels checked out and found one side was loose after the recall hub service. Unfortunately my Interstate cranking battery has gone bad just one month after the three year warranty was up. Thanks for the information.

Now thats what I call , on the ball! Mine is a 2013 and original owner said he had replaced them several times. I went to Amazon the first night home, problem solved.

With all this talk about caps I keep wondering why no talk of bearing buddies. I have always used them. Immediately put the on my 22 Tracker. Am I missing something?

It is your choice. What ever fits your spindles. If you have "Buddy Bearings" great. If you have the ones that have come on the BPS trailers that are not, fine. It is very simple the Vortex plastic caps are under engineered. Good alternatives have been shared and the failures of the plastics is clear. Make a smart choice and enjoy your success. Good luck!
"::"

I have has a couple sets of the buddy's, and they do pretty well on small tin boats that don't go long distance. But I found on my 18ft duck boat that after a distance long enough to get them really warmed up. They will put pressure in the hub and out the back seal and excess grease will cause water to leak in on the bearings. So I quite using them.

I have has a couple sets of the buddy's, and they do pretty well on small tin boats that don't go long distance. But I found on my 18ft duck boat that after a distance long enough to get them really warmed up. They will put pressure in the hub and out the back seal and excess grease will cause water to leak in on the bearings. So I quite using them.
I think that’s what mine is doing. Thanks for the information.

Latest posts

Back