UPDATE Impeller changed

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firedog978

Reaction score
Well, today was the day that I changed out my impeller myself (1st time to do so). Thanks to some advice from Bob B. ahead of time, it seemed to go smoothly.

The only concern I had was when I put the gear case back up on the bolts, I was thinking it should go flush if splines were aligned right. I had to slightly turn the prop on a few attempts at alignment and even when it seemed to align and go up closer, it wasn't flush. It was about 1/2" shy of flush. No matter what I did, it never went closer than that. I decided it was aligned and that the bolts would take it the rest of the way. They did.

I got in the boat and the shift lever went into all gears properly. I also turned the engine over (didn't start it just turned it over) in nuetral. I wasn't able to put the muffs on it and run it but, it seems all is well. We'll see soon. A couple more things to do on the spring maintenance. After that on the first mild day I get a chance to, I'll launch and check it all.

Bob B., thanks for the advice about putting the shift lever in forward gear before dropping the gear case. Just a little turn on the prop to get it aligned with that.

You should change your impeller every 2 years...period. Cheap insurance from overheating.

Latest posts

Back