Turning my sister's kids into lifetime anglers

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
Meant to write this yesterday, but got busy. Spent the holiday weekend in FL at my mom's place, where we met up with my sister and her two kids (Eric, 11 and Elizabeth, 5). They had never fished before.

My mom's retirement community is loaded with little ponds and lakes. And the ponds and lakes are loaded with fish. We spent hours nabbing bluegills, some of which were dinner-plate sized. Beautiful fish. Couldn't get the bass or catfish to bite, but we had pretty light tackle in the hands of inexperienced anglers, so that was probably for the best.

The laughter and smiles were priceless. I know these two kids will be fishing for the rest of their lives. And I now have an easy answer for what to get them for birthdays later this year.

The Blue Heron (nicknamed "George" by the local residents) standing about 10 yards away from us had a field day. Any of the unlucky blue gills with too much damage from the hook became bird food.

Way to go Rich! You better watch it thought, they may move in next door with Jeanne's siblings, then you'll need to buy a 911 to get everyone fishing when you need more speed then the pontoon does!!!

Every year, our Bass Club co-sponsors (with the local Police Department) a 'Hooked on Fishing - Not on Drugs' outing. It's a pond about 1 1/2 acres in size, full of bream, bluegill, cats, crappie and bass. It's free to kids ages 7 to 16. Mostly single mom's, dad's and such come out. They fish for 4 hours, then trophies for all. We provide lunch, etc.

Every year, we get at least 30-40 kids that have never had a fishing pole in their hands. It's one of the most enjoyable things that I do each year. Wife joined me last year, and absolutely had a blast.

I'm sure you enjoyed yourself, tremendously.

Tex

That's awesome, Rich. I've hooked a few kids on fishing myself.

I got Alex (6) a tackle box for his birthday with a few "essentials" and he got so excited and ran to show his mom and ran smack into the corner of the wall. Had a goose egg for his birthday too.

Fishing was made for kids. They love it as well as the person that introduces them to it. Some of us kids never outgrow it. Good job Rich.

Da Bear

Glad to hear any new kids adventures into fishing. I'm setting up a new district here in Iowa for ABC since they have a great Junior Anglers program. My 2 older sons 13 and 11 are thrilled thet get to fish with Dad in tournaments this year. They will only fish against other kids in the tournaments, more for fun than real serious which is the way it should be for kids. If anyone has an ABC district near them and has kids wanting to fish fun tournaments, check into it!

ABC site is www.abcbass.com

Take a kid fishing!

Latest posts

Back