Turkey time

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob G.

Reaction score
Our spring turkey season started this past Saturday (always May 1st). I roosted a bird the night before but he would not come to a call and wandered off after gobbling for over an hour. I heard another gobbler and on my way to get in position I saw a different gobbler in a field and he didn't see me. I got near the edge of the woods out of sight and he came to the call within a few minutes. One shot at 7am and the 20 pounder was tagged. Stats: 20lbs, 9.5" beard and 3/4" spurs. Typical 2 year old turkey for the area that I hunt by my camp.

Turkey1A.jpg

This morning I thought I was working a single bird. After an hour and a half, 4 jakes finally came in. I contemplated whether to shoot one or not. Long story short...I have taken 4 gobblers 20lbs or better. Just lucky. Always joked with my son and dad about only shooting big birds. This was going to be my last day hunting (smallies are calling!). Shot the closest jake. Whopping 14.5lbs, 3.5" beard and 1/4" spurs. :eek: Hunt was over at 7:45am.

Turkey2A.jpg

I hunt in southern VT and the leaves are out on the trees and the black flies were terrible. I had to wear a no-see-um head net over my regular face mask. Temps were in the 80s by afternoon. And we just had snow this past week. Now it's time to fish!!

Note: pics taken with a cell phone.

Cool... nice turkeys... Way better than the turkeys that roost here on NTOWS!!!!:D

SWEET TOMS BOB!!! Great job!!

Deep fried or traditional? Either way is fine. I just need to know which style cranberry side dish to bring! :lol:;):D

Dan, bring any style cranberry dish you like...I'm not picky! I didn't keep the whole birds. My fridge at camp is like a dorm fridge, so I breast them out. I kept the legs from the bigger one for making turkey soup.

Hopefully I can get some fish pics soon!!

Latest posts

Back