Truck Tents

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James D.

Reaction score
Was thinking about purchasing a "truck tent" for some weekend fishing trips. I've been looking at the sportz model and the adventurer model and was wondering if anyone have tried either of these out?

(i was really thinking about following soonerfan to mcgee creek to find that secret spot of his where he catches those hawgs!)

jd

I'm looking at them too. My brother-in-law has one and he likes it. Learning how to put one up is an experience probably not forgotten. They can be ornery. He has the short bed, 68"...

I had one many moons ago. It served it's purpose when we went camping on the weekends. Only problem was that you have to take it down when you want to go somewhere if there isn't a 2nd vehicle around.

JD, another thing to conisder is that some of the camp grounds at the lakes do not have parking at the indivual campsites. I know at McGee Creek the parking for the campsite is also the parking for the loading ramp. You can park right by the site but the actual place you pitch the tent is a little walk down a hill. Similar deal at Broken Bow where you can park at your campsite but the best place the pitch the tent is down right by the water.

The other thing to think about is the size of the space you have in there. My old tent was a 6X6 and it was real snug with Andy and me. The new one is 10X10 and 6' tall in the middle. That gives enough room to spread out a little and be able to stand up to change clothes. Putting your pants on can be a real luxury out there.

Also think about the ventilation of the tent. You'll probably be camping in the summer mostly so you don't want a tent that is an oven. My new tent is practally all mesh so it breaths real good.

If you want to borrow my stuff some weekend to see if you want a convential type tent you are welcome to it, just let me know. I've been wanting to do a weekend trip sometime soon but don't want to until the "Hawk" dies a little.

Harpo

thought a truck tent would work out for me as it would get you off the ground, should hold up well in the wind and rain, and most importantly my air mattress should fit perfectly.

harpo,

thanks for the offer as it is kind of you. I've camped alot in years past (back before I had gray hair anyways) and have a large 6-man tent and a 2 man dome tent. I guest if we go to mcgee or bow, then I'll bring the dome tent to camp by the water. I was thinking that the truck tent would be simple as you don't have to look for a spot to pitch a tent - just find a spot by the picnic tables and wallaa. It should be perfect for my adventures at bell cow.

following is a link to a site which makes the tent i'm considering. http://www.adventuretrucktent.com

jd

Yeah, and you can also keep a real close eye on your truck!!!LOL Also look at JC Whitney and your dealer. When I told my dealer that I was looking they offered to discount it a bunch. Chevy also makes an air mattress that fits in the bed also. Another drawback is the fact that if you are camping somewhere where there are no dock facilities, or you have to pull your rig out of the water at the end of the day, you have to break camp.

TOXIC

I've been wondering the same thing James. I see them in the catalogs all the time and they seen like a nice way to keep roots out of your back. If you get it, let us know how it works out. I could use one on my hunting lease during the off season.

sa,

try that adventurer link in the post above. this looks like a pretty good tent.

i'll probably purchase one real soon and let everyone know what i think of it. I just wanted something I could stretch out in and get a good nights sleep instead of driving home with one hand on the wheel and the other holding my eyes open after a nights fishing.

jd

Latest posts

Back