Alarm sounds need info

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyred31

Reaction score
New to site. We recently purchased a 1995 nitro, does not have any manuals. Have looked online with not much help in finding what I need. Hopefully some of you might be able to answer my questions. Thanks.

We took the boat out last weekend and it ran great. Today we had it out, again it runs great.

Problem: While moving things in boat getting ready to fish, I accidentally caught the ?safety cord/kill switch? that runs from the motor to the driver. (old boat didnt have one) We were trolling at the time so didn't think much of it. Went to switch locations, when he started the boat, an alarm went off. He shut the motor off, the alarm stopped. Remembering the cord, he hooked it back on. Everything seemed ok, but now everytime we start the boat to change locations the alarm sounds for short burst (chirp chirp) then stops. Also when the alarm goes off it shuts the depth finder off. Without any kind of manual or getting ahold of tracker we have no clue about the alarms.

If anyone knows and could give some insight it would be much appreciated.

Sorry I know this is lengthy but was trying to describe it the best I could so as not to leave anyone wondering. Thanks again.

Last edited:
What's the serial # of your motor. If you're wanting an Mercury OEM Service Manual, you can create yourself a login here http://www.mercurypartsonline.net/scripts/create_new_account.php
then login on the parts page http://www.europeanmarine.org/partsaccessories.html
and input your serial number. Usually it has a Service/Support category and you can order the OEM Service Manual there. Its well worth the money for working on your motor, step by step with diagrams and how to's on diagnosing/repairing your motor based on its serial number range. Not generic like other type repair manuals. If the alarm is shutting off the depth finder, it could be that the battery isn't sufficient to handle the accessory loads. Do you not notice it when you begin to start the motor?

Don with European Marine is really good and you will find LOTS of helpful info on the BBC Mercury forums in the FAQ's. http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-3-...-posts-look-here-first-updated-06-2014-a.html

What's the serial # of your motor. If you're wanting an Mercury OEM Service Manual, you can create yourself a login here http://www.mercurypartsonline.net/scripts/create_new_account.php
then login on the parts page http://www.europeanmarine.org/partsaccessories.html
and input your serial number. Usually it has a Service/Support category and you can order the OEM Service Manual there. Its well worth the money for working on your motor, step by step with diagrams and how to's on diagnosing/repairing your motor based on its serial number range. Not generic like other type repair manuals. If the alarm is shutting off the depth finder, it could be that the battery isn't sufficient to handle the accessory loads. Do you not notice it when you begin to start the motor?

Don with European Marine is really good and you will find LOTS of helpful info on the BBC Mercury forums in the FAQ's. http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-3-...-posts-look-here-first-updated-06-2014-a.html

Thanks, will have to see about an OEM manual.

We turn the key, double chirp, and motor starts, runs fine. The double chirp sounds right when we start the motor. No other time.
The motor is a mariner magnum EFI 150hp. We had already put a new 3 bank charger in it last week and just bought a brand new starter battery for it friday. Seems like it is over charging too. Got home and it showed it still had 13 volts in it (new 12 volt battery).
Thanks for your info.

Last edited:
Battery is fine. My 225 efi chirped every time I turned the key. It was a signal that all engine functions were ok. Now if the motor is running and you get a series of chirps it is a low oil alarm. A solid chirp while running is an overheat alarm.

All of my new motors (1996 to present) would/will alarm when the key is turned to start. All the dealers that went through the boat and motor, said turn the key to on position, listen for the beeps/chirps (alarm system was operating correctly) and when they stopped then start the motor, any alarm after that was a problem.
Welcome.

cq

Battery is fine. My 225 efi chirped every time I turned the key. It was a signal that all engine functions were ok. Now if the motor is running and you get a series of chirps it is a low oil alarm. A solid chirp while running is an overheat alarm.
All of my new motors (1996 to present) would/will alarm when the key is turned to start. All the dealers that went through the boat and motor, said turn the key to on position, listen for the beeps/chirps (alarm system was operating correctly) and when they stopped then start the motor, any alarm after that was a problem.
Welcome.

cq

Thank you!
Really appreciate all the info. Yes, it only does it when we turn the key. So everything is ok, good.
Have never had a new enough boat before to know about the alarms. :)

Now if we can figure out why the depth finder is shutting off, everything will be great.

Glad I ran across this site. Lots of great info.

I have a 200 Johnson and it will also chirp when the key is turned to start the motor at a partial turn and then turn further to start the motor.

Not necessarily low voltage Toxic but low power (Power = Voltage X Current). The cause for each is the same though: either a battery going bad or a resistive connection somewhere. I would start by checking all electrical connections for any that are loose or corroded. Don’t forget to check the fuse, fuse holder and the battery connections as well. Another culprit would be too small of a wire gauge used to extend the factory power cable. We have to remember that a boat is the worse place for an electrical connection as it is moist and endures a lot of vibration and mechanical shock.

I have a 200 Johnson and it will also chirp when the key is turned to start the motor at a partial turn and then turn further to start the motor.
Sonar shutting off is a symptom of low voltage. Either your connections are bad or your battery is failing.
Not necessarily low voltage Toxic but low power (Power = Voltage X Current). The cause for each is the same though: either a battery going bad or a resistive connection somewhere. I would start by checking all electrical connections for any that are loose or corroded. Don’t forget to check the fuse, fuse holder and the battery connections as well. Another culprit would be too small of a wire gauge used to extend the factory power cable. We have to remember that a boat is the worse place for an electrical connection as it is moist and endures a lot of vibration and mechanical shock.

Thanks everyone!
With all the info given, good to know that the start up chirp is normal.
As for the sonar, batteries are new and fuses are good. We are looking toward the connections. Not liking the way it is wired.
You guys are great! Thank you for all the help/info.

Latest posts

Back