Truck opinion

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VA Chris

Reaction score
Hey Gang, I have been looking for a new truck and really wanted a 4x4 F-150. I finally found what I thought was the perfect truck for me but I have been reading some horror stories on-line about them. What I found is a 2002 supercrew 5.4 triton v-8 with only 34k miles on it. Beautiful shape, tow pack, etc. owned by a retired fellow who obviously did not drive it that much. Has all repair records,oil change dates,etc. My big concern is I have now been reading about an issue with spark plug blow outs in 97-2002 ford 4.6 and 5.4 engines. Am I crazy to buy this truck? I can force myself to walk away but I really dont want to. Opinions?

I would buy the truck if all things are according to Hoyle. What I will recommend that you do ... and this is a "must do" ... is replace the spark plugs immediately. The issue is less about them blowing out as it is they won't come out. The problem is that the plugs seize up and break when attempting to remove them. They can be removed at much added expense. At my dealer this was @ $80 per plug. The dealer wrote off the extra expense because I raised a low grade stink. At 34K, they should come out easily.

They are also noted for coil packs. I've replaced three on my buddies 2000 F150 in the last three years.

If you replace a CP then, it's always a good idea to replace that plug...once removed you'll know why. They are not that bad and I suggest putting just a dab of anti seize on the threads to prevent that from happening.

If it's a good price and shape...buy it;)

Yep ,what Tox said and i would also do what Tee said and put a dab of anti sieze on the plug threads. The probl is dissimilar metals and they get frozen in there. Its a common enough problem on just about anything with aluminum heads.

thanks guys, I have decided to go for it. My uncle also had his mechanic buddy at the local ford dealership give me a call to discuss whys and wherefores and he put my mind at ease as well. I thought that was nice of them both.

Remember to use an anti sieze that is oxygen sensor safe. Not all anti sieze compounds are created equal.

Yeah seizing plugs, not blowout is a known problem in that engine and all Ford service departments have had a service bulletin and experience with removing them. It includes presoaking the plugs with penetrating oil before removing. The problem is the specialized long thread plugs extend into the combustion chamber leaving threads exposed in the chamber which get carbon buildup on the threads and seize the plug when trying to remove. Not a deal killer in my opinion as it is a great truck and strong engine. Just use Ford service or question any third party shop throughly if they are familiar with the removal process specified in the Ford service bulletin.

As long as you don't put too much antisieze on the threads you'll be fine.

Also presoak the small bolt that holds the coil pack down cuz they tend to seize up also.

Make SURE you have the SP socket completely seated on the plug before cracking it loose and blow the hole out first with an air hose to remove any debris that might fall into it;) Even though the boot is pretty much sealed, when you pull the plug wire dirt and debris tend to fall back in.

I have that exact truck, same year and all. 130K miles and no problems. I love the truck. Only con i have is that the gas mileage sucks. Much worse than most trucks.

Cassbass: I know the mileage is not good, but I am going to the truck from an Expedition with the same motor so it's not like I will notice anything different at the pump. BTW the Expy is on Winchester,VA and Wash,DC craigslist if anyone is interested.

Latest posts

Back