Trouble deploying trolling motor

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Given

Reaction score
I’ve got a Nitro 288 Sport, 2006. The lanyard to deploy the trolling motor doesn’t budge.

If I fasten rope to the locking pins on the arm, I can get the lock mechanism to function.

The frame doesn’t appear to be bent.

Any hints as to what I should look for?

Can you put your foot on the frame and pull the rope at the same time? Putting a little pressure on the mount may help release the pin.

Spray silicone works wonders.
It loosened it up. Thanks. I actually had to tap the retaining pin at first to free it. I had lanyard rope wrapped around those pins earlier to release the locks. But today, even that wouldn’t work until I tapped the pins (gently).

After some liberal silicone spraying, the actual lanyard rope worked. Still sticky. I’ll let it work a bit and check it later today.

Thanks!

Mine was hard to pull as well. But I lubed up the mechanism and now it works great.
What did you use for lube? I tried silicone spray and it helped a bit. But after raisin and lowering it, thinking I was good to go, it jammed again. Had to tap the locking pins again.

There isn’t much access. There are a couple “peep holes” and that’s it. Maybe I need a flexible extension to the spray nozzle?

So…I bought a can of WD40 with a flex nozzle and sprayed the locking points and into the tiny access holes.

The release mechanism is a bit smoother. Still sticky. I exercised the mechanism several times in the driveway (standing next to the boat). I’m not certain I can get the mechanism to release when I’m standing on the deck, especially from the stowed position.

I’ll let it sit overnight and get into the boat tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks for your ideas.

The locking pins might be bent from all your struggles, not blaming you for it, just wondering if that could be.
On my old boat the shaft slipped down a little and created a binding in between lifting and lowering. It was a motorguide.

Maybe…thanks, I’ll give them a look.

I climbed in the boat today and yanked on the release cord from the deck. It worked. AND…it worked from the deployed position as well, which would be totally “inconvenient” otherwise.

Still not as smooth as I’d like it but at least it works.

So I’m leaning towards thinking the spring mechanism (whatever it looks like inside there), was just stuck. But “why” still isn’t resolved.

The springs are strong. Good question regardless. As for corrosion, I’m not sure what could corrode? There’s no sign of it and there’s not much access to get a decent look…just a couple of quarter-sized peep holes. That’s why I needed that flex sprayer on the WD40 for.

If there was a grease fitting, I’d hit it.

I just dropped the boat off for storage so…till next year I guess.

Thanks guys for the ideas!

It loosened it up. Thanks. I actually had to tap the retaining pin at first to free it. I had lanyard rope wrapped around those pins earlier to release the locks. But today, even that wouldn’t work until I tapped the pins (gently).

After some liberal silicone spraying, the actual lanyard rope worked. Still sticky. I’ll let it work a bit and check it later today.

Thanks!
Take a small burr tool and clean up where the pins lock, clean the outside then put a little marine grease on the pin and where it locks in. And put little pressure on the shaft befor you deploy. Good luck.

It's a mute point at this time but, when you pick the boat up this spring keep spraying the shaft and pins with WD40 and work it in 10 times to loosen it up. Unless you have access to the boat now. If you do I would just work on it over the winter.

The fact that it has loosened up just from the few times using the WD40 shows it needs to be cleaned and lubricated. WD40 is a great cleaner but after you get it working will ,wipe it clean and use something like LPS. I attached a screenshot of Minn Kota manual on general maintenance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221109-212023.png
    Screenshot_20221109-212023.png
    197.6 KB · Views: 0
It's a mute point at this time but, when you pick the boat up this spring keep spraying the shaft and pins with WD40 and work it in 10 times to loosen it up. Unless you have access to the boat now. If you do I would just work on it over the winter.

The fact that it has loosened up just from the few times using the WD40 shows it needs to be cleaned and lubricated. WD40 is a great cleaner but after you get it working will ,wipe it clean and use something like LPS. I attached a screenshot of Minn Kota manual on general maintenance.
Thanks for the manual! I’ll hit the lubrication in the spring.

Take a small burr tool and clean up where the pins lock, clean the outside then put a little marine grease on the pin and where it locks in. And put little pressure on the shaft befor you deploy. Good luck.
Ya, I didn’t have any grease on hand. I’ll grab some when I pick the boat up in April. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back