Trolling motor set up question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Hutson

Reaction score
Hello all, I haven't posted in a while, but I have checked in on you from time to time. I have a couple of questions concerning trolling motor wiring. First, what I am working on and what I'm wanting to accomplish. I have a 16' Old Town canoe with a square stern, it is powered by a 30lb. thrust Minn Kota Endura T/M. I use it on small trout and smallie rivers and creeks.

I'm wanting to "hardwire" the T/M battery from the back of the boat, to in fromt of the middle seat to more even out the weight. It will be an approx. 8' run of wire and I'm planning on using conduit to run the wiring in.

My questions;

1. What size wire should I use? I've been told everything from #10 wire (seems to small) up to the same wire that is on the T/M.

#2. What type of termimals should I use? The T/M has "C" type termimals on it. I thought that I would use solder and heat shrink from the T/M motors cable to the new wire and put new "C" or "O" style terminals on the battery end. Is there a better way?

I contacted Minn Kota about this, they were of no help what so ever. Any help will be greatly appericiated.

Steve

You must assume that Minn Kota used the correct guage wire on the trolling motor. Therefore, you would not want to use anything smaller. Match the TM wire and you will be golden. Minimize the number of "joints" in the wiring; reads like you will have one connecting the TN wire to your extra length. Good, but it wouldn't hurt to replace the wire from the TM all the way to the battery, one length.

I vote for 6 ga wire. Also you want clips (like Jumper cable ends) for your battery. That way if you flip your battery won't take your TM with it to the bottom.

TOXIC

Of course, if the trolling motor falls off, your "clipped" battery won't keep the TM from becoming structure ... :wacko::lol::wacko::lol::wacko: Known from experience ...

:lol::lol::lol::lol: at Marty....I never thought of that. My little 2 man boat.....hey, I just realized I still have a boat so I guess I am not BBT after all....anyway, that little boat has a transom mounted TM that, if put on properly, will not fall off...even if it were upside down:lol::lol:.

TOXIC

Thanks Marty and Toxic. I never thought about making it a one wire system, that gives something else to think about. I like the "jumper cable" terminals also. I try to not think about dumping the canoe or my kayak, although I'm sure it will be somewhere in my future.

Hey, does Uncle Billy ever come around anymore? How is he doing?

Latest posts

Back