Trolling motor prop - 2 blade vs. 3 blade vs. 4 blade?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Cozadd

Reaction score
I currently use a 2 blade on my 12volt 50lbs thrust Motorguide which is on my V17. It moves quick enough but seems to attract every weed within 20 yards. I fish around a lot of weeds on a regular basis. What will switching to a 3 or 4 blade prop do for me? I've heard of ninja weedless props, any opinions?

Use the three blade. Its better then the two in weeds and not quite as good as the four but the four blade one gives up too much thrust. on a windy day you wont be able to fight it. in my experience with motorguides the three offers the best overall performance. motorguide needs to take a lesson from minnkota on prop design. my minnkota has one prop (two blade) and thats all i need. it offers great thrust and unbelievable weedlessness at the same time. the minnkota dosent try to chop the weeds up it kinda just goes thru them.

You can also adapt a Minnkota prop to fit on a MG motor,...take a little work, but it's worth it,...a lot of pro's do that. I think all you need is a dremel moto-tool to do the job.

Mac

Jeff, while fishing with Mickey Bruce I noticed he had a custom 2 blade for his MK. The 2 blades gave max power, but had metal edges built right into it, like ice auger blades. It was all flush. Mickey said "you can't wrap this in the weeds if you try". A guy in GA makes them for about $120 a piece, any model. Pricey, but worth it to get into the slop. Win one tourney and it's paid for itself. I have to call him tonight for some stuff and wanted to ask for Buzz's motor and mine anyway. I will get the guys number and post it here for those who are interested. Really cool blades.

Hey Jeff, I'm with Jim on takin a lesson from Minnkota. I recently switched from a Motorguide 67 to a new Minnkota Maxxum 74, and WOW what a difference in the weeds! I tried both the two and three blade on the Motorguide, the three was a little better, but still not that good. I have a standard two blade on the new Minnkota and a week ago, I was running right through heavy hydrilla and didn't wrap hardly any around the prop. Did pick up some around the vertical shaft, but that can't be avoided. In my experience, Minnkota clearly has a superior design.

Good Luck

Nitro

Latest posts

Back