Trolling Motor Install Help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Lowe

Reaction score
I just put a new Minn Kota Maxxum on my 1997 Nitro 700LX. I cannot get to the front left screw to put a washer & nut on it. I went thru the access panel, arm just would not reach. I know some of you had similar issues, what do you suggest for a way to get washer on nut on it.

Super glue the nut to the washer, making sure it's lined up dead center. If you need to, secure a wrench to a cut piece of broom handle or something similar. I used zip ties and duct tape for the "extention" to my wrench. When you put the nut and washer into the wrench, the washer will keep the nut from falling through the wrench opening. Get it in place while someone else turns the screw up top.

I've installed a few trolling motors in boats with small openings, and this method always works great.

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn, that is a great tip. Never had that problem, but you can bet I will remember it!!

Bubby:)

I didn't do that, but instead taped everything in place to a longer box end wrench and had a friend run the screwdriver from the top. That worked pretty well also. Once started, you can then just pull the wrench away and finish tightening it.

Note to others: If you are going to use ANY type of wrench up in that area of the boat where it's hard to reach, take a string and tie it to the wrench and your wrist so that you can retrieve the wrench from wherever it drops. The guy getting my boat is getting a wrench that's still in my bow area, that I never could find or reach.

Second wrench I used had the string method. ;)

Tex

I have super glued the nut & washer together like Glenn said but am having trouble getting it on the screw. Do you guys use the hunt & feel method or visually through the access panel? I tried to visually line it up but my eyes & bifocals made it difficult. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back