Tritons and Champions and RANGERS.....Oh my!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
On my way over to Burlington early on Saturday, there were literally hundreds of bass boats around. Aside from our tourney there was the LCI, and another in the area. AT our tourney, the Everstart Ranger boys were there. There are about a dozen of them that stick together like glue. They even tie up at the dock and don't let anyone else without a Ranger tie in. Well, it felt gooooooood, to spank the livin daylights out of them. The Ranger rep that keeps trying to convert me was there again and actually fishing out of the Alpo boat. He only weighed 9 lbs! I told him, "Gee, looks like Nitros just seem to be able to find fish better." He laughed and said if he gave me a boat, I'd drive it. Duh, if ANYONE gave me a boat, I'd drive it. The best boat is ALWAYS a free one. I just can't stand the guys that think that just because they're running a $40k boat, they're better fishermen. I took Mac's advice, and Buzz and I let our bag do all the talking. I believe only 2 Ranger teams finished in the top 10, and one of them was a local pair that aren't Team Ranger! Ranger owners even got extra prizes just for running a Ranger. Now THAT bugs me! I have nothing against the boats, but the attitude that seems to come "in the box" when you buy one......can you say jerk? Anyway, here's to hoping Buzz and I can make the Winnie tourney and stomp them boys again, but harder this time, with Marke and Curtis coming in a close second! LOL

Soooo,..if you got a Free boat,...you'd be a Jerk too?? LOL

Remember BigDog,..."Keep 'dem words soft and sweet!!!"..(Juuusttt incase!!!)hahahah

Mac

and i thought it was just me! i kind of noticed the atitude here in backwoods pa also. they cant wait to get to the lot to wipe dem sparklies down!

oh,kind of also forgot,they cant drive the tow vehicles either!definitely cant park dem sparklie trailers either!!

Mac, hope you know me enough by now to know that NO boat will change me like that. I will always remember where I came from and can't just turn my nose up at folks. I is just simple folk thru and thru. And I don't mean to classify all Ranger owners that way, but it just seems to me in the bigger circuits I have been around lately, they seem to be pretty snooty, and there are definately some VERY tight clicks. I think some of those guys simply forgot where they came from. I can't see turning my back on a potentially great future friend because the boat they drive is different than mine. Buzz and I made friends with a guy in a Triton and his partner was a big Ranger owner. Super nice guys. They had no attitude at all. Of course there was a little banter back and forth between us all about the 3 different brands, but in the end, they got lunker, we took 6th, we congratulated each other, and made friends. None of the other guys from Ranger approached ANY of the top finishers to my knowledge with so much as a hand shake. And this was more a "fun" tourney than anything. Maybe the guys I have run into lately are just the limited few, I hope so. If by some chance someday I end up running a Ranger, I will do my best to bridge that barrier. The bottom line is we all love to fish.....period.

Well, Rob..... Let me put it a different way..... Maybe it isn't your boat that they're snubbing..... Maybe it's you and your attitude towards them.

What???? Um Scott, I didn't have an attitude towards anyone, but I can start! I have always tried to be nice to everyone, and in fact have often shared info that could haunt me in a tourney. I try to like everyone until they give me a reason not to.

I'm just bustin' your chops Bigdog,...don't want you gettin' all hoyty-toyty on us!!...ahaahahah,...You'll meet all kinds of folks in this sport who exemplify the best and worst of all mankind,.....makes NO difference what boat they drive. You've got the right attitude,...just be yourself and you'll be fine,... Lead by example and good things will follow!! People always confuse me with some sorta "celebrity" or something, because I like to fish, but I LOVE to draw cartoons and make people smile or laugh! I'm NOT a celebrity,...just a regular guy with a woefully low bank account and more designer markers than any normal man needs!! The ONLY thing that sets me apart from other people who can do the same is that I FINALLY found something that I am pretty good at(drawing), and I have combined it with something that I LOVE to do(Fish)....I found a niche that creates it's own demand, and I am hell bent on capitalizing on it,......does that make me a celebrity?..Heck NO!!...It makes me wish I had more time to fish! ahahahaha,....Ohwell,....I'm a living example of: "Careful what you wish for!!"....I love it though,..can't wait until the next show...I'll be there,..markers and all! Hope to see YOU there too!! Hang in there,..your future's golden!!

Mac

Rob -

Even though I've never met you, I'm sure you have the talent and personality to make it to the big-time.....

However, if you want anyone to back you in any kind of boat or any form of sponsorship.....

WATCH WHAT YOU SAY.

DON'T BASH ANYONE FOR ANY REASON.

KEEP WHAT YOU SAY A POSITIVE - OR DON'T SAY ANYTHING.

Put your personal feelings aside; you never know who you may be offending.....

me

Mac, you know I think you're da man!

Scott, I recall us having this conversation once before. I do watch what I say. I didn't bash anyone, and you can't please everyone, so regardless of WHAT you say or when or where, there is always someone somewhere that has too much free time that is just looking for a reason to complain. I simply refuse to participate in today's "politically correct" forum run amuck! For the most part, I do stay positive, but when people walk around like their $*&% doesn't stink, I'll be the first one to pipe up in defense of the "little man"! And as I said before, if I have to choose between sticking to my beliefs and maybe never making the big times, or making it at the expense of being a sell out, and biting my tongue every time somebody does something I believe is wrong, then I guess I'll be a lowly smallmouth guide on Champlain for the rest of my life. But pros beware if you fish this lake against me! Denny owns Ozarks, Mickey owns Lanier, Clark owns Beaver, and I will someday own Champlain!

Well I have to agree that we are getting a bit close to "bashing" and that is something that we don't do here.

Just as a note, on weekends when Momma Bear and I put our tin Tracker in at one of our favorite ramps, an ocean of fiberglass surrounds us. (Big tournys are always going out at that ramp). Most of the boats are Rangers and almost all of the others are Tritons. Since they don't own the ramp, when I am ready to put the boat in, I back it down the ramp with the wife inside. She fires it up and backs out next to all of the other boats. After parking the truck, I walk down to the dock at the ramp and board my boat. We wish the fellas luck as we work our way past all the boats and head to the main channel. Then we take off before they start.

My point here is that having my wife and I in the middle of a bunch of guys getting ready to take off on a tournament is enough to upset at least a few. Then to have a tin Tracker among all of those beautiful boats leaves me wide open for smart remarks. However, so far not one of those boys has ever been disrespectful or discourteous.

If a person gets a different attitude when they get a certain boat, who cares? I have always measured a fisherman on his or her ability to catch fish. Anybody can go into debt buying an expensive boat. But being in debt will not catch fish. Talent and luck catch fish.

Bear

Scott I Agree 100% with you . In fact what I am going to say next is probably going to have more than a few guys ripping into me but so be it I have kept my silence for too long. Rob Jim Browne and myself have known you a year longer than anyone else on this board having met you last year and up at champlian and having you fish in my boat as a guest and hang out with us more than once. Having said that let me state that I am slowly losing all respect for you . Your constant need to try and put someone down because the are fishing out of a Ranger or a Triton is childish at best immature at worst. I have news for you not all Ranger owners are jerks are there some that are jerks ,yes but guess what,you in my opinion have become a jerk in a Nitro. You posts concerning the last tournament are perfect example all you could talk about was beating some of the local guys .That not what tournament fishing is about it

I fear that the charachter of this board is being put to a serious test. Can we uphold our claim that this board is comprised of folks who can disagree without becoming disagreeable? Can we be proud of our membership without our own pride being a stumbling block?

It will be interesting to see where this goes.

Yes, Rob, we did have this conversation once before.....

It apparently didn't sink in.

Tom,

Sorry you feel that way. I didn't mean anything about the chemist comment other than a joke. I'm sure you worked hard to get there. It was not meant at all in a negative way. Sorry if it came across that way. But I never said that ALL Ranger or Triton owners are jerks. What I did say was that lately I have been encountering a lot of it in the bigger circuits. I pulled into a Wal-Mart parking lot and there was 5 Rangers next to one another and they all laughed at me before I got out of the truck. Having never met me, of get to know me. I also try to help EVERYONE I can with fish. I have never been secretive about where, or how I fish. I like to put people on fish. But one thing that burns me is when people count me out because I don't drive a nice boat, or don't make a lot of money or because of my age. A few local guys have been doing that for a long time, and I have made it a point to beat their butts in a tournamen and set the record straight that I can fish as good as them. There are a lot of things concerning this that you don't know, but if you had taken the time to find, out, I would have gladly told you. I never put anyone in a Ranger down. Only stated some observations I made. Normally I wouldn't even have mentioned it, just chalked it up to a few guys that coincidentally drvie the same brand of boat being jerks that I happen to run into. But you know, all the Stratos guys were really nice, even after we did well, all the other Nitro guys were nice, a guy in a Javelin, and Champion, Astro. But once the half dozen Ranger guys saw I was in a Nitro, the courtesy changed. They were all nice at the pre tourney meeting, (we left the boat at the store) but the next morning, (and maybe Buzz didn't notice, but I did) I got a different reception. Like I said, Brett, the Ranger owner from MN was great. He and I are planning to get together. BUT, some of those guys have swelled heads. In a tourney, I look at it a bit different. YES, it's me against the fish, but if I want a check, then it's me against 100 other guys, that I HAVE to beat to pay the expenses incurred. I love to fish, but to a certain degree look at it as a business. Didn't mean to offend anyone, and if I did I apologize. Don't wait months to tell me, call me or e-mail and we can discuss it.

There,...with all that said and done,...let's get back to the really important stuff!! Fishin' and BS'n!! Mini,...give me a few more of yours and Spangler's spots,..I need to go beat them up!! LOL

Mac

Rob -

Consider yourself lucky - you've just gotten an opportunity to appologize to Tom.

I can promise you that there are others - some of whom may be potential sponsors - that you will never even know you've offended. They won't tell you, they will just write you off their list..... Forever.

me

"...all we are saying, is give peace a chance..."

John Lennon

Then so be it. I can see where Tom's coming from, I didn't think about what I said enough, though on my end knew it was a joke, the typed text didn't portray it that way. However, if someone doesn't want to take the time, and be adult like Tom did, and tell me that I ticked them off, then once again I don't really need them as a sponsor. When I go pro, and I will, it will be on my own merits, and ability to fish. I will have no regrets, and will be able to sleep at night, and look at myself in the mirror with respect. I am working hard to get to where I'm going, though I'm not there yet, and believe me, when I get there, nobody will be able to take a thing from me. I wish I could get along with everybody, nobody likes to think there is someone that doesn't like them, but that's just reality. Because of this awesome board, I have gained many new, terrific friends. Unfortunatley some people don't share my views, I don't dislike them because of that, but if they choose to not like me because of my views, well then they are the ones with the problem. Not always, but often, if I do offend someone (and this was NOT the case with Tom) they are EXACTLY the person I am talking to. The reason they get so offended is because the truth stings a little. For those individuals, an apology is NOT forthcoming!

Oh, but I DO! Sorry Scott, maybe I'm just not making myself clear enough. But this is not the place for it, for lets just drop it and move on, shall we. I would rather be discussing fishing than beating this topic to death AGAIN!

Try this:

Next time you see an angler next to a boat, or a bunch of anglers near a bunch of boats: Introduce yourself, focus on remembering their names, and try to forget what brand of boat they drive. It's not an important measure of who a person is.

Jimmy Leutner, and for the life of me I can't remember what kind of boat he owns. He finished 10th in the Everstart, and I considered him a real threat in this tourney, cause he is real good with a jig in the weeds. He also did well in the FLW, and was very nice to Buzz and I this weekend. He asked if I was fishing smallies again, and I asked if he was fishing the milfoil again, "yup" was the answer to both! LOL He's the only guy aside from Mike Leblanc that I know gets "coon" eyes as bad as me.

Bingo!!,...just do your best all the time...treat other's as you want to be treated....let the scales do the talkin' and you will NEVER lose!! ...now,..HUSKERS?? $#%@# ME!!! LOL

Go BLUE!!!!

Mac

Trep,

Stand back when they blow...they'll knock your skinny butt into the next county!!!

I thought a boilermaker was a shot of whiskey and a beer?!?

Tom and Rob - Play nice sandbox or i'll come up and kick all of your butts!!! LOL

Ken - Blue blows CHUNK!!! Yes after we kick Michigan butts we celebrate with a Shot and a Beer? And what's a Blue?? Some candyass Curasu Blue liquor??

WE ARE!

PENN STATE!!

GO LIONS!!

Yea, I'm a transplant from PA.

Bob G.

"Blue blows CHUNK!!!"

This is what Mrs. Trepper's little boy went to college for?

Magna,

All the time, I never forget where I came from. I still deer hunt in Montour County every year with my dad. Can you say JoePa? It must be the plain uniforms.

Bob G.

Try this:

Next time you see a fan waving a school banner, or a bunch of fans doing the wave: Introduce yourself, focus on remembering their names, and try to forget what color of make-up is smeared on their faces. It's not an important measure of who a person is.

Scott,

That's one of the most intelligent posts I've seen you write...even if it was plagarized!!! LOL

Disclaimer:

This was a joke annd only a joke. It was meant entirely in fun. Scott said something else intelligent once, but I can't remember what it was!!!

bob,cool!! i had to add my 2cents in on that one!!

is joe still coaching??see i live here and dont know!!

If Joe is breathing, he will probably coach. Joe has been coaching in some capacity at PSU my whole life!

boy,quick on that one.what ya doing hovering onsite!!

it sucks being off with a back problem,on comp for a few days.all i can do is surf these sites all day.boring!!!

Magna,

I'm at work surfing!! Sucks to be out with a back problem. Especially if the boss sees you hitching up the boat!

Bob G.

boss seen me hurt my back!!the boat is still hooked up from sunday morning!!!

It's nice to see a group disagree and still remain friends.

Rob, you can come off a bit strong sometimes, but that's just you and I've come to expect you to voice your strong opinions. That same determination will get you to where you want to be. It would be boring if you didn't.

Scott, you care more about others than 99.9% of the people in this world - enough that you're willing to risk offending someone in order to try to help them out.

I personally think that Nissan Altimas cause some people to act like total road jerks. I don't know what it is about that particular car, but if someone cuts me off they're ususally driving an Altima. Rangers and Tritons and yes, even some Nitros, can do the same to some people. We love our boats. That's ONE thing we all have in common. To each his own. If someone sneers at me from a big shiny sparklie because I'm driving a tin Tracker, I'll just smile and wave (and smirk when they run that thing up on a shallow gravel bar at 50 mph! It's true! It happened to me in June!).

And, since to each his own.....

T_Mann:

GO BIG RED!

Geez, Mark..... You say that with such eloquence..... You bring a tear to my eye..... (sniff)..... I love you, too, man! Can I borrow your boat?

man is it over!!come on guys, play nice!its ok to have different opinions and not agree with each other. you just got to say thats cool and let it go.

now, how about coronas for everyone or maybe molson ice or just alot of beer....make up and have fun talkin bout fishin

steve ><}}}}'>

I'm sorry..... I shouldn't have said that.....

Let's all try this:

Next time you hear a drunk belching, or a bunch of drunks puking in the alley: Introduce yourself, focus on remembering their names, and try to forget what brand of beer they drink. It's not an important measure of who a person is.

Scott,

I wonder about you sometimes......but then again I wonder about me!!!

Bob G.

scott,sometimes you scare me!!but your ok with me here,the only thing is the caffeine free crap,that will make you puke!!well,a least me!!

bob,thought about it,but not now.got to relax a bit,rest it up for the dr's appointment.i hate them,but the boss made me go.what i go to do is make up some walleye rigs,my style.they have been hammering the #3,3.5 and 4 willow blades in white,charturse,and hammered silver.got to make up a half a dozen for the weekend.

Now THIS is the board I'm used to! LOL And you guys say I'M crazy? BTW, what the hell is a Boilermaker anyway? Who would name a team that in the first place?

Magna,

I was only joking about the night fishing thing.... I do know some guys that have no ethics and would do it anyways!!

Rob,

YES you are crazy, but so are the rest of us. When are you going to show me how to fish for smallies for real??? I ready for the 5lb class!! Marke was with me when I caught the 4.5lber and I would like to do it with more regularity!!! I promise I won't go PRO and snub you with a Ranger. I'll just snub you with my FISH N SKI!!!!

Bob G.

Yeah,...FINALLY back to the way I like it too!!,...BUT,..Trep, I gotta agree with Scott on this one,..

"Blue blows CHUNK?!"...ahahahahahaha...I'm cryin' bigdog!!!

You just keep yer Narra Hiney down there in Billybob land and don't even THINK about comin' up to the BIG HOUSE until you learn to spread disrespect with CLASS!!!...LOL. AND the day "Perdew" beats the Mighty BLUE,...will be the day they serve "Boilermakers" at communion!! Now get back to tendin' your basement still!!...ahahahha

You ROCK Trep!! :eek:)

Mac

Rob - There are 3 types of Boilermakers - One is the Drink, one is a person who MAKES boilers (i.e. the things that heat up and make heat, steam - you know like an engine) and lastly but NOT least THE Purdue sports teams!!!

Scott - I am SOOOO GLAD that I went to college, joined a fraternity and can proudly say - You all BLOW CHUNKS!!!

You know what I like about this board.....

It reminds me that I'm not the only sick person out there!

me!

Bob, not this weekend (anniversary) and NONE of you scare me like my wife LOL, but after that, let me know when you're free. Can't promise a 5 lber. But Buzz and I know where there is a finicky 6lber.......would that do?

Rob,

6 lber will do!! I'm on vacation and/or work until 8/14. I'll call you when I get back. As soon as my wife/kids go back to school, I'll be able to fish for real!! Oh yea, I'm already fishing two days per week!! I have it bad!!

Bob G.

Just 2 days? hahaha

I just had my annual birthday fishfry on Saturday...

Since I got my TV-18 I just don't seem to have the 'time' to fish for anything but BASS!!! (Anyone else have this problem???) My wife was actually telling me to go fishing!!! "You need more fish for the fishfry!!!" "Stop letting all those fish go!!!" hahahaha Wasn't a problem...I had 6 quart freezer bags left over...

az

Oh no he just didn't say he was FRYING bass! Andy, I am offended and have to write you off my list.......forever. LOL Just Kidding, just don't let me hear of you eating them bassus anymore. Think walleye, tasty delicious, mouth watering walleye. Right now the guys on the PWT are crying! LOL

No No No Rob...

It's strictly CPR for bass...Catch, Photo, Release...

The WIFE gets mad that I let them all go...hahaha

I only keep the 'gills, crappie, walleye, and an occasional Northern...I'm just so "hooked" on bass fishing that I don't want to stock the freezer with pan fish!

az

Oh, OK then. I guess you're still OK in my book. I only ever kept bass once a couple of years ago for my mother in law, and guilt plagued me for months. I told her, never again. Next time it's perch or eyes.

I don't think Rob was wrong in making an observation. I've run into the same conflict with boat owners and their high priced boat attitudes. I get it all the time. I am a simple country boy that fishes out of a high priced Gambler Intimidator.

I get snide looks from the Ranger and Stratos owners when I come by in my t-shirt and bare feet w/ a ball cap on, and being in my early 20's. But hey that's me. Just 'cause I don't want to wear a button up tournament shirt when I am fishing a local lake for fun doesn't mean that I am a poor fisherman! I feel his pain, and I don't think he intended to insult Ranger owners as a whole, nor do I. It's just happens to be that all the ones that fish my lakes around here are like that. It's not a reflection of the boat, it's just a reflection of people who feel like they have something to prove, so they buy what they feel is the best, and anything short of that they consider trash.

Thank you Steve. That's pretty much all I was saying. But when I do get that down the end of the nose look, it's ticks me off, and makes me want to beat their butts bad in the tourney! Just to prove if nothing else that boats don't make the angler.

Do we know what the record number of replys to a post is. This has got to be a record. Just wondering.

Bear

nope...

not even close...

I started the 'longest' post on accident...

I'll "bump it" back up so you can see...

az

Hey Ken, the Marsh is great. I took off early yesterday and caught a few 5 pounders. It's hot though, real hot. Surface temp in the 90's with all the bass in the trenches at 11-12 feet. Gators everywhere you look.

And Rob, keep up the good work, us weekenders like to hear the war stories!! steve

See GATORS and snakes and TREP is exactly why I won't move south! Worst we have here is the occasional moutain rattler, and that's only 5 months out of the years.

I'll take that Rob and raise you 3ft of the white stuff. Keep telling yourselve that when it's 75 an sunny here in January and i'm posting pic's of the HUGE Magnum Spots I catch!!!

Huge, magnum, and spots, and Trep, don't belong in the same sentence! LOL

Heck of a record Andy. This is a long way from it.

Bear

Latest posts

Back