Triton Glenn question for you

• Thread starter Gilbert Scales2
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbert Scales2

Reaction score
Glenn, I know you have a great deal of knowledge with reels among other things. I have a Shimano Citica, that I really like. It been clicking at times during retrive and slightly binding. After further inspection I found the line guide slightly binding on one end of reel. Touch it with your finger it lets go and works fine, Finally to the question, should I just clean and oil it, or should I have it serviced?

Thanks in advance,

Bubby:)

Hard to completely diagnose over the internet - but I'd be willing to bet you have a worn Line Guide Pawl. It's a small part that usually causes this kind of malfunction in a reel (slightly binding, clicking during retrieve, etc....) If you let me know the exact model number of the reel, I can look up the part number for you. Or you can go to a website like Mike's Reel Repair and look at the schematic for that particular model:

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/thumbnails.php?album=8

Very easy to replace. Just unscrew the Pawl Cap, tap the reel a few times until the old Line Guide Pawl and spacer come out, put in the new Line Guide Pawl, stick the spacer on top, and then put the Pawl Cap back on. Really easy.

You can check by unscrewing the Pawl Cap right now and dropping the Line Guide Pawl out. The little grove is probably very worn. If there are no broken pieces, you can probably safely just put a new one in. If broken pieces are obvious, then you should take it apart and clean out the Worm Shaft and Level Wind Guard before putting a new one in.

Worm Shaft cleaning - do that with a old toothbrush. Make sure you clean every groove.

Level Wind Guard - Q-Tips work extremely well.

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn, I believe you nailed it. I googled how to remove the pawl cap on Citica 200 DPV . I found a site where Shimmano has an upgrade, and describe my problem to the T. The reel I have is a Citica 200 DPV, And Shimmano has the instructions how to remove and replace everything. I will contact them tommorrow, to see if I can get the parts. The instructions look a little complicated, I hope I can get it done.

Thanks,

Bubby

If you can't, box it up and send it to me. I'd be happy to fix it up for you.

All the best,

Glenn

Latest posts

Back