Spider Wire

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Storey

Reaction score
When the new super lines came out there was lots of concern about the line wearing out the guides on your rods. Time has proven that worry to be unfounded. However, I use Fireline on one of my reels all the time. I fish some heavely weeded lakes and have found that the super lines allow me to keep the fish from getting its head down in the weeds. I fish for a lot of northern pike and have had to bury the drag to the point that there is none. I set the hook and reel them in. Works graet, I boat two to three times as many fish as I use to. Heres the problem, the reel I use this line on is falling apart. The bearing races have pot marks from the rollers and the anti-reverse bearing in the handle has impact marks on it also. My question is, am I destroying my reels by using this line? The rod guides are OK but has anyone considered the shock to the reels? I clean and oil my reels every winter and have never seen this type of damage until I started using the new super lines. These are not cheap reels either. Any one else having this type of problem? Would a more flexible rod help absorb the shock or should I loosen the drag and take my chances with the fish?

You don't say what kind of a reel you are using. I fish muskies with 65# and 80# powerpro line which has no stretch at all, like spider wire. I set the drag as tight as I can turn the star drag, cast 2 to 3 ounce weights all day. I've been using no stretch line for 4 years now, I have broken 2 high dollar rods on stump hooksets but never a problem with reels up till a month ago one started making clicking noises on the cast. I sent it in and it was replaced. I clean and oil them once a year in the winter. The reels that I use are Abu-garcia Morrums, Shimano Calcutta, Abu-garcia Black Max. I don't feel that you can abuse reels any more than casting for muskies. I also believe you get what you pay for not only immediately but also years after the warranty is done. The rods were also replaced my the manufacturer.

The reel I am seeing the most wear on is a Quantum Professional ACS PR600CX. I have many Abu-Garcias and like them all. I have yet to buy one of the Morrums or the Black Max reels. Mostly C3's and C4's. My Muskie reels are the Bass Pro Pete Mania Line. Not sure who makes that reel but I have had no problems with reel. But I do not make as many casts in a year with that monster as I do the Quantum. The Quantum is used every outing and has made thousands of casts.

Latest posts

Back