Trim or wiring?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim King

Reaction score
So, I go tothe lake the other day and when I hit the trim on the throttle to trim the motor down nothing happens! I hit the up button and it works fine. I go to the bow and nothing happens. I go to the otor and it works fine in both directions. I also notice that when i try the trim on the shifter that my trim indicator goes straight to the top an sticks there. I chacked for loose wires under the coeling, but found none. any suggestions from all the fine people on here?

Thanks,

Tim

Don't know what kind of motor you have but this happened to my sone-in-law. There are two modules under the cowl. One controls the up and the other controls the down. I took the module off my boat and put it on his boat and the trim worked fine. That my be the same for you. They are relative inexpensive.

On my johnson, there are 2 relays next to the carborators that control Up and down on the trim. If you have the 2 relay system, Unplug both of them and swap there position and see if the trim now only works in the other direction.

If so one of the relays is bad and needs to be replaced.

By 2 relays for about 10 - 12 dollars each and replace both

Keep the good one as a spare because if one goes there both getting tired

If ANY trim down works, then it's the wiring. I had a problem where the motor was crunching down on the wiring just above the trim motor, so mine wouldn't go down with any of the switches, I had to resolder the wire, it was a *****. It sounds like yours is just a matter of finding where the damage or poor connection is from the motor forward.................sa

Like Steve said, if the switch at the motor DOES trim down then it's not the relay. The bow trim runs back and is wired into the throttle trim. Had the same problem with mine this spring. With mine a wire came loose in the control panel and just had to be soldered on.

thanks for the info guys. I thought that maybe it was a loose wire and with the good help here now I guess I can start the tedious process!

Tim

Latest posts

Back