TrepMan (Scrawny, Jar-Jar, ....): A Question about your boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
My father-in-law is about this close (> <) to getting rid of the "Redneck Bassboat", our 16-foot riveted Tracker jon boat with a 25 h.p. Mariner electric start tiller.

He doesn't want anything fancy. Just something stable, with a console, with a couple of livewells, and all-welded. His knees are going bad so he'd prefer something without such a high step to casting decks. He also wants something that can handle a decent chop but not something that goes 50 miles an hour (40 to 60 h.p. would be ideal).

Stability is also a big concern. The jon boat was very stable. I thought about a Grizzly 1860, but by the time you upgrade to a 60, the price gets into 5-figures. For that kind of money, the Pro Crappie begins to look attractive.

What can you tell me about the stability of your boat when two adults fish out of it? How high is the step from the lower deck to the front casting deck? How well does the Revolution hull handle chop?

Thanks, guy!!

MOfish,

The stability of the Pro Crappie with two adults fishing out of it is just fine. Admittedly I fell out of it a few weekends ago, but had nothing to do with stability. The height of the front deck it is about 10 inches but would have to measure to be sure. But it is not really much of a step up. As for how well it handles chop, I think it does ok, but if the waves get too big (3 ft or bigger), they sure do come crashing into the boat,,,,,,,,LOL,,,,, about 10,000 gallons per wave. Definitely would be careful about getting out on a lake like Whitney if the winds are up.

I have had my Pro Crappie for a year this month and it has been an excellent boat, just wish it had better rod storage and general storage overall. Have a Merc 40 hp 4 stroke, top speed is 28 - 29 GPS.

MO - George is right on! I've fished it with my Cop friend (335lbs) from the rear deck. He had no problems. Granted balancing on hole shot with my 135lb on the driver side it did list to the left a bit LOL!! Granted like any boat if 2 guys are out on the same side of the boat on the edge it does lean that way, but neither of us ever felt like we'd fall out.

As to stability for fishing from the lower decks there is no issue. I regularly take my Wife and 2 boys and no one has fallen out yet (you got me beat George!!). We have jumped in and used the ladder I added to get back in.

I'd also agree with George on the ride, up to 2ft chop she rides great, the Revolution hull is amazing for a TIN boat of this size. Above 2ft and with heavy wind it does get a bit of a spray, the 2004 might do even better now that they have widened the gunwales quite a bit to keep that spray off the passenger/driver.

My only complaints on the current model is the shrinking of the front livewell to more of an extra baitwell. It's fine for small-medium panfish but for Bass you'll have to use the send Livewell under the passenger seat. The 2004 does have more storage up front (the old insert for just 3 370 boxes is now a HUGE dry storage area) and more space in the Bildge area too!! But it's not on the same level of storage as the PT 175 with higher decks and larger locker/storage.

Performance with the 40 Merc ELPTO is right on with George, i've had her run 31.3mph on my GPS with just my scrawny tush and smooth water.

Just measured the step up to the front deck is 8 inches.

Thanks guys! I'll keep you posted on his progress toward a replacement boat. The information you've provided will be very helpful when I talk to him tonight.

Latest posts

Back