Tracker Tournament V-18 SE (V18) - Performance Report

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
Boat: 2001 Tracker Tournament V-18SE Dual-Console

Motor: 2002 Mercury 150XR6 2-cylinder classic outboard

Prop: 14 dia x 23-inch pitch Mercury Black Max 3 blade aluminum

Fuel Capacity - Either 38 or 42 gallons. (I don't know which it is. Brochure says 42, specs say 38. I sometimes carry a full 2 1/2 gallon plastic gas can to make up the difference.)

Performance: Boat will top out WOT at 5200 rpms showing 57 on the speedo (probably more like 52 on a GPS). Smooth lake or chop, it impact speed either way. Even with three guys, full tank and all gear, the speedo only drops to 56. Holeshot is less than four seconds with a full load. Less than three with a light load. No chinewalk at all. Gotta luv that tin. The Motorguide 52-lb thrust, 12-volt, 42" shaft trolling motor is fine on a calm day but is found wanting in a stiff breeze and rough chop.

Handling - Once its dialed in to the sweet spot on trim/tilt, she runs like (as some have put it) a raped ape. Steering at speed can be a bit stiff either way, but the ride is dry and very smooth. Splits big waves and wakes easily.

Comfort - When we're fishing, its's a very stable platform underfoot. Three can fish very comfortably out of this boat as it is, and I can take out the second console if we really need the extra room (so far I haven't had to resort to that, but I've taken it out just to know that I could). The three seats across the "bench" are very comfortable, but a bit high. Controls are all easily accessable and gauges are easy to read. My only complaint about the design is that the livewell is a bit small for two limits, and I wish there was a livewell up on the front deck. The livewell lid is very hard to open at times. The boat is a dry ride except at mid-range power with a quartering head wind in heavy chop. That occassionaly drives the spray over the side into the faces of the occupants.

Great storage! Large center bin up front flanked by two deep rod lockers. All three lock with a single key. I added lid pulls to them to help with opening the lockers in cold weather (gloves). On the rear deck there are the two battery compartments, but also two dry-storage boxes. I added locks to all four of these lids; locks which use the same key as the front lid locks. There is also good storage under the bench seat, and a lockable glove box in the second console.

Trailer is the standard painted Trailstar. I added a spare tire carrier. Tie downs included are the two straps for the transom, the winch strap and a safety strap. The trailer tongue folds off to the side for storage, but you'll break one of the orange reflectors doing this.

Electronics: The console station has the standard Tracker/Humminbird 128DX. This is fine for slow idling and for the rear deck fisherman to use, but it loses contact above 30 and the resolution is at the low end. The transducer is mounted on the transom. I just added a Garmin 240 Fishfinder to the bow, mounted on a mini-R.A.M. swivel mount, with the transducer mounted to the trolling motor housing and powered off of the cranking battery.

Options: Deluxe trailering/storage cover from Tracker; second console option; spare tire/wheel and mount; hydraulic Pro pedestal seat from Tracker/BPS.

Likes: Ride, holeshot, stability, speed, storage, construction; price (value); local dealership is excellent; ability to store the boat in my garage; bass-boat style layout, true-V hull design, standard equipment, and more...

Dislikes: small rear-only livewell, un-primered paint (scuffs off fairly easily); seat height; Humminbird is useless at high speed.

MO,

E-mail Smitty from the board here...he's got the same engine as you, not sure of the prop but he says he's getting 62mph GPS.

The Mercury 150XR6 is a 2-cycle, V-6-outboard with oil injection and a remote tank.

I incorrectly stated that it was a 2-cylindar motor. My apologies for the error and possible confusion it may have caused.

Latest posts

Back