In search of my perfect boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
I've been a boat enthusiast for nearly ten years now. "Perfect" and "boat" are not really compatible terms, and my definition of perfect is subject to change. Frequent change. :) A lot of things I never would have pictured myself doing (bass fishing, downlining, water sports) ten years ago now create a complicated wish list for one boat that can do it all.

My perfect boat would have/be:

- fiberglass

- 20 to 21 feet

- a slightly deeper V hull than most bass boats

- about 1 to 2" more gunnel height than typical bass boats

- a top speed of 60 to 70mph on 150 to 200hp

- capable of excellent holeshot for watersports

- ride comfortably in light to moderate chop

- resist porposing at most speeds and loads

- have a cockpit layout like a fish and ski, with a comfortable rear bench that smoothly and seemlessly converts to form a large rear casting deck like a traditional bass boat layout

- a ski pylon that retracts down into the rear deck

- dual console or walk through

- a full front deck

- a centerline rod locker and rod organizer, capable of holding a minimum of 6 rods

- flush mounted electronics at the bow and console

- stowable boarding ladder

- in floor storage for something as wide as a kneeboard or as long as a pair of adult skis

- flush mounted stainless rod holders at the stern for trolling rods or mounting downriggers

- compartments with integrated 3600/3700 tackle box stowage

- livewell with integrated, round baitwell bucket

- AM/FM CD with good quality speakers

- stainless rails along the cockpit gunnels for mounting additional holders

- snap in carpet for the cockpit

- a small compartment with a removable trash bin

- cockpit seating that is a couple of inches higher than normal bassboat seating height

- Keelshield

- trailer and fittings that can withstand salt water use

I may think of more things to add later.

Join in and offer your version of perfection...

EDIT:

- bimini top that can be stowed in a compartment

BTW, in case it's not obvious, I'm after a careful balance of fishing, cruising and water sports applications.

Doesn't exist pards.

Closest to matching your wish list will be a center console bay boat configuration. Bass Cat, Champion, and Blazer for sure all have the highest percentage covered on your list.

What about a "walleye" type boat? I can't even begin to guess on the holeshot, speed, etc. I know Ranger makes (or made) one.

If you find it let me know. It sounds perfect to me too. What about a Riata? It has a much larger front deck than most F/S.

NoCAL

Pat, of course it doesn't exist. If it did, I'd buy it. :)

No question, my perfect boat would a blend of some features from a bay boat, some from a bass boat, some from multi-species and some from a fish and ski. I actually think Mike is right. The list is probably closer to multi-species than anything else.

I don't think there is a reason it couldn't exist, other than marketplace economics.

Well I thought I had a close match for ya old buddy, till that FIRST one - Fiberglass!!

I know you and I have talked about the Fisher line of aluminium fish/skis. And granted the Hawk 186 Sport is only 18'6", and only has some of your perfect requirements. But its a neat concept, rigged with a 150hp it says she'll push 55.

Hmmmm, My perfect boat would be similar to yours except Aluminium (weight issue and I like Tin) and 18.5 ft would be big enough (want to keep the van as a tow vehicle, I know your sport track I think can handle up to 5000 lbs).

I also want a galvashield type trailer so fresh and salt water is not an issue, as I LOVE and miss bay fishing!!

Trep

NoCAL, the Reatta 1850 actually has a bunch of the list covered, which is not surprising, since it is kind of a mutli-species/fish and ski hybrid.

The traditional fish and ski Reattas biggest detractions, IMO, are the small rear decks, and very low cockpit seating. Features shared by most fish and ski models.

What I find interesting is that the removable bass seats that also serve as part of the rear seating solution on most F/S models dramatically limit seating innovation. Butt seats and poles are very easy to store on a boat. I'd rather see someone take a clean sheet to seating solutions and cover the fishing portion of the mission with included butt seats.

I think part of the problem is that the bass boat makers (understandly) approach this from the following direction: Let's take a really good fishing platform and turn it into a compromise fishing and sporting boat.

I think it would be easier to make a really good fishing boat out of a boat that already cruises and skis well.

I want one with an electric convertable top for when it rains:lol:

Trep, those discussions we had are exactly along the lines of this one. The Fisher Hawk 186 Sport is an innovative attempt at covering many of these issues. I don't have a problem with the length on that boat as much as the challenges aluminum puts on ride quality in moderately rough water conditions.

TEE, check out the Cobalt line of bowriders. They have electric, retractable tops. Cheap too! They only costs about twice as much as boats of similar size. :)

OK Rich how about for "aluminum puts on ride quality in moderately rough water conditions." the Tundra 20 sport!!! but it doesn't have the rear deck like the Fisher, and one thing I think they screwed up on was keeping the front baitwell infront of the drivers console. They could have removed it or integrated it into the deck so you had a true bow-rider front end.

And the Tundra would fix your ride and performance issues!! And with a 200 it will push 60-62!! I'd actualy like an 18 Tundra Sport, but they don't make it, add non-skid flooring (ala the coastal package on the TV 18 All fish, convertable rear deck and saltwater wiring and i'm sold!!

Trep

Trep, I'm not really after the inherent good stuff that aluminum gives, which is primarily weight reduction. Fuel and towing economy are not on my list. That doesn't mean they aren't good to have; but I'd prefer to sacrifice them for other traits.

I'm also suspicious of new technology for boat hulls, until the technology has a longevity track record. There are a lot of twenty year old boats out there with "space age material" cored fiberglass hulls that are delaminating. They were hailed when they first arrived, but nobody knew anything about the new materials' ability to survive in a typical boat hull application over the long haul. Some of the materials have been disasterous for owners.

I haven't heard much about the formed aluminum hulls since Tracker introduced them. When owners report getting to the five year mark without cracking, flexing, etc., I'll have some measure of comfort.

I admire Tracker's innovation in this area and expect it will work out well long term. Just don't want to be part fo the longevity test.

sounds like you should check out a Charger multi species

JD

Careful with the "multi species" argument guys.

One of his criteria was "saltwater" use.

You dunk a wally rig in the briny deep, and see what sort of cancer starts right away.

You want to use a boat in saltwater, you really need a saltwater boat.

Triton's SF-21 is close to what you want... has a bigger back deck and bench seating....

Just not sure about saltwater running... can get a SQW motor but I do not know about the wiring...

Agreed. SF21 is with the bench seat covers a lot of the bases.

Rich,

Trust me on this....

I've seen way way too many cancer cases roll through with bass boats, fish n skis, etc that only "used once" in saltwater.

Uncoated copper wire, un protected switches, tube steel trailers, freshwater troll motors, carpet, all and I mean ALL will be short lived getting salt spray on them.

Nothing uglier than the pretty iodized windshield after it's pitted and scored from saltwater.

Nothing more aggravating than a dash full of switches that won't work.

Pat, I've seen it, and I believe you.

This is an excercise in dreaming...if I could have all of these attributes and only sacrifice saltwater capability, I would gladly do so.

I don't sell em anymore, but...

The Bass Cat Bay Cat is just about the closest I've seen to your boatopia. The removable rear bench seat is slick in it's operation, fishes like a bass boat, and will run the speeds you're asking for with a truly great ride.

Set it up with two captains chairs, with the front seating and rear passenger seating, it's the nut.

If'n I lived that close to the bay, no way I'd limit myself to a freshwater boat either.

Just get the 1850 It's one great boat........It Is really ready for the salt..If I didn't have the ranger fisherman I would of gotten the 1850..No carpet and long shaft saltwater Merc....:)

But I am sure Storm could fix you up Rich.....:D

I think if you want the front deck room and some room in the cabin area you have to go with a 20 to 22 footer. Our Fisk and ski 175 nitro has a small deck up front and the cabin area is to cramped especially in the driver area. If I hit my leg or head on the darn windows one more time I swear they are going in the drink. Darn metal edges hurt. Be nice if they could be replaced with some kind of formed acrylic one piece window on each side. Other than that it's not a bad boat.

This is going to sound like herecy coming from a boat dealer but....

If it's on a boat, it's going to break. Fact of life. The more gizmos and gadgets you attach, the more trouble it's going to cause.

If you can visualize your 350 lb biscuit headed brother in law stomping on something and it will live, then it can go on your boat, if it won't, it shouldn't be there.

Pat, there is something to be said for for a simple skiff with no hull liner. It's not fancy, but it is much easier to keep.

Latest posts

Back