Transducer

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Blankenship

Reaction score
I have a question. I have a hummingbird gps/fish finder and the guy that had the boat before me put the transducer on the transom. I sometimes lose the water depth when running on plane. I heard that you are not suppose to lose the depth. I am wanting to put the transducer back in the bilge area but not sure how to do it. Ant suggestions would be appreciated or if y'all know how to fix the depth lose where the transducer is currently mounted. I have a 2005 nitro nx882 with a 150 merc

Travis,

I just put one in my bilge. I also have a 2005 nitro nx882 with the 150 merc. I suggest that you buy the thru the hull transduce with the water temp probe. With the transducer comes a little epoxy kit that you mix up. More than enough to do the job. I hooked everything up and just put the transducer in the bilge area. I took the boat boat out and hung the transducer over the side to get a depth reading. Then I put it in the bilge area with a large ziplock baggie over it so it wouldnt move. I kept moving it around and then ran at different speeds until I got good reading for speed and depth. When i got home, i removed the baggie, drew a little circel around the puck and then cleaned and dried the bilge. Follwed instructions from the epoxy kit and installed it. Having the same boat and hull as you, the spot I found was about 10 " forward of the plug and off center about 2". There is a stringer that runs down the middle of the bilge area, that is why it has to be off center a little. Works great at any speed. Probably lost a little sensitivity going thru the hull, but I have not noticed a problem spotting fish. I mounted the temp probe about 1/4" from the bottom of the hull right next to the jackplate mount. That works great also.

Jim,

That sounds like the XP-9-20-T inside-the-hull transducer and not the big bronze or plastic Thru-Hull (installs through a hole in the bottom of the hull) transducer, right?

When you tested your transducer prior to epoxying it in place; did you place the transducer in a baggie full of water or was there something in the baggie just to hold the transducer in place? For testing I prefer adding some water to the hull and using the baggie as a weight to hold the transducer.

Added tip here and one that while it can help with signal loss; not many are willing to do it: grind down the fiberglass until you get to the solid stuff. To begin with you should always remove the cover paint that is used inside most boat hulls. Two reasons for this: it

Hey Greg,

I forgot to mention that Greg, I did pour water into the bilge to cover the transducer so there would be no air pockets. Very good point and I am sorry I left that out. Another good point Greg, (thats why they pay you the bog bucks lol) I did indeed sand the bottom down with 100 grit paper. Wasnt baby A?? smooth. Had enough surface area to get a good bite with the epoxy. I thinly coated the floor and also the bottom of the transducer and pressed and rotated the transducer in place. To be honest, I think there is more epoxy on the outside of the transducer than underneath it. Actually created like a little epoxy dam.

Greg,

Right again , it was the xp - 9-20 t. Shoot through the hull.

Travis,

You would have to move it to another location on your transom and for me it was stressful enough drilling the first holes let alone another set. Mine is going to go inside the hull when I get the motivation to move it. Greg also had a tip about angling it down more, I might try that first.

TOXIC

Travis,

About the only thing that you can do is to try and angle the back end of the transducer downwards very slightly (5 degrees) and/or lower it farther down into the water. Other than that you will have to relocate the transducer itself as TOXIC said.

Greg Walters at Humminbird

Latest posts

Back