Transducer Location on a 700LX

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe DiLorenzo

Reaction score
I have a 700LX and I keep breaking the transducer mount for my Humminbird. I currently have it mounted on the step. I get great on-plane performance with it mounted there, but in rough water, I always end up breaking it.

Anyone have it mounted up higher on the transom and get good results on-plane?

I'm also considering using epoxy and mounting it in the hull. My only question here is location. The original fish finder that came with the boat was done this way but I think mounted too far forward. When on plane and trimmed up, that part of the boat would lose contact with the water.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Joe,

I would think that mounting a transducer inside-the-hull would give you the best results. Typically the location for this is in the lowest area of the hull and as close to the transom as possible, so that that area of the hull is still in contact with the water at full speed. Often this is where the bilge pump is located.

Greg Walters at Humminbird

Another idea, is what I did, use 2 transducers, I have 1 in the bilge to avoid the break/flip up issue and keep the bottom while running, and 1 mounted higher up the transom to get great off-plane reception.

Greg, thanks for the info. Do you use fiberglass epoxy? How much resolution will I lose for picking up structure?

TrepMan - Do you have both transducers running to one unit? How do you switch between them?

Thanks for the info guys!!

Good idea Trep. Basically the same thing that the Side Imaging unit owners do to keep from having to replace those expensive Si transducers. If a two transducer system like this is used I would recommend the TS2-W Transducer Switch to enable you to change between transducers.

I have never used fiberglass resin to install a transducer but I know that it can be done. I usually use our EPK Epoxy Kit or some two-part slow cure epoxy from Wally World (can

I don't remember Greg which cable I have but i think its just a y cable into the Head unit and it is MAGIC, when the rear looses readings it switches seamlessly (at least to me) to the bilge transducer. For me i have the quad beam transducer on my 787c so its about the size of the side imaging one and thats why I did it that way, but it works seamlessly.

Trep,

You must have the AS-Si-DB-Y cable than. There is no switching involved as AS-Si-DB-Y cable only allows electrical connection to the downwards pointing

Latest posts

Back