Trailstar Trailers & Axles

• Thread starter Christopher Edwards2
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Edwards2

Reaction score
My 1995 Pro Team 175 tailer axle (or springs) are allowing my tires to toe in. So, the tires are wearing out much quicker on the inside tread. When the boat is not on the trailer, the tires are pergfectly staright up and down. When the boat is on the trailer, that's when they toe in. IN KNOW I HAVE NOT HIT ANYTHING. I think this is a design flaw in the trailer. Since it's 5 1/2 years old, I'm sure the trailer warrenty has expired. I'd like to hear what you think!

Mine were only a year and a half old ...so I know what your taliking about
Tires1.jpg

I notice my tires wear funny too. If they were on a car I would think the shocks were bad. I think it's just the nature of trailer tires.

Harpo

How many miles are on the trailer? my buddy had the same thing happen on his 185 trailer and my father on his 4 winns trailer. Both had bias ply tires, both switched to radials and the problem was gone. I think it wears the edges from sway, both of thier trailers swayed alot on the freeway with the bias ply tires. With the radials the sway was gone.

Those photos are identical to the wear on my trailer tires.

I have a 2000 Pro Deep V17 and trailstar trailer. It looks like under inflation wear. The max press is 50 psi cold, I have always kept them between 47 and 50. I think Jim is right on, it make sense that trailer sway could cause this abnormal wear.

The photos above are from my 2001 Pro Deep V17 and I was told that my axel is bent ...and I know I have never hit anything ..... I was told at first that I ran under inflation .. but I check the psi ever time I go out and it's 50 psi

I was told the same thing about my axel, but I know I didn't hit anyhting. If it is bent, (I don't think it is)it bent by the weight of the boat it was designed to carry.

My 1999 PT185 trailer tires were very "wavy" & worn on the 2 inside treads on both tires. Dealer also said bent axle and replaced it under warranty in 2001. New tires & around 3 thousand miles later the same thing is starting to happen but not as drastic. I never hit anything with this axle either.

There have been many posts here stating this problem was resolved with radial tires and I seem to agree. When its time to get new tires they will be radials. Carl

Not! Don't let em' fool you. First off..A lot of it is caused from underinflation and not being balanced for another(been there and done it). I had a problem with mine but, it went away because you need to run the bias-ply @50 PSI (cold) and balanced them and they're wearing fine now. Those axles are suppossed to have a bend in them to make then track better.

I had one wheel that took close to 3 oz. to balance...

Try it and see if it don't help...and like I said,"Run them at 50 PSI and no less".

TEE

BTW..Those bias plies are junk! When mine wear out they WILL be replaced with Goodyear Marathon's:)

I also have a 2001 DeepV17 and my tires did the same thing but it happened when I pulled with the tongue slightly down. Try raising your hitch ball so the tongue is higher at the vehicle.

P.S. I have also switched to radials.(Carlisle) They are great.

This problem with the bias ply tires is very contagious. I also have the same wear problem on a differant brand trailer. 17 1/2' aluminum boat. With good tire presure, my tires are wearing on the outsides too. Same as TEE, my plan of action was to increase the air preasure so center tread would wear. As soon as that crap wears out , I'm going with radials.

When I replaced the tires I had a hard time find ones that fit so I went with what was on there to begin with ... what is the trade off ... do the fenders on the trailer have to raised?

no the fenders should not have to be raised. on my buddies tracker 185 he was able to get a radial in the same size as the bias ply. on the boas they use a different lettering code the nthe standard p-metric they use on the radials. He got a ST175/80R13 load rance c good year marathon and it fit right up.

My tire dealer carries Carlisle. They are excellent and somewhat cheaper than the Marathon. They fit perfectly.

I put the Carlisle radials under my TV-18 before last season...I had the exact same wear as mentioned above with the 'stock' bias tires...after 1 full season last year there is NO visible wear...

Go radial and you won't regret it!!!

az

Latest posts

Back