Trailstar bunks

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Helscher

Reaction score
Who is the 'genius' who had non-treated wood used on my 2000 trailer. I am in the middle of replacing the 2nd one because of rotting wood. The first one decided to let loose while I was putting the boat on the trailer. That was an adventure to be sure. I will get the other 2 replaced just to have it done. Short-cuts don't pay off in the long run. Not hard to do, but just now starting the 4th year. I think not! There I feel better.

Always good to VENT Firebird. I just did both of my 2000 trailer bunks last month.

yeah, my 02 901 has untreated wood as well...

Already saw a couple of the lag bolts coming loose.

Everyone should pay attention to these things...

I just replaced the bunks on my 2000 trailer. The original had treated wood. One of the lag screw holes had completly rotted out. I wouldn't have looked at them until I saw a thread on the board about inspecting and replacing them. I looked at mine and couldn't believe it.

The old bunks although they were treated wood had almost the entire bunk covered with carpet, including most of the underside. When I replaced them I only covered the ends, tops and sides. Left the bottoms completely without carpet. From now on I'll take a look at them yearly.

For one thing...even untreated...if they would have not overlapped so much carpet on the bottom of the boards...they wouldn't rot out as quick. When I put my new ones on...I only gave it about 1/4" to the edge. Doesn't hold near the water...

TEE

Point well taken Sam and Tee. I will leave most off the back side bare and see what happens.

Firebird, here is the logic behind the untreated bunks.

Pointy headed bean-counter thinks....how can I raise the profit margin in a way nobody will notice? Untreated wood costs $0.67 less per unit sold. Eureka!!!

$.67 X 10 Gazillion units sold = $67 Gazillion more in the the old retirement fund. COOL. Nobody will even notice. Screwum if they do.

Life in corporate America 101. Gotta love it.

Harpo

did you expect them to last the life of the boat/trailer?they wont last past 4 seasons,i got 5 out of mine,but i had to move them so i could get a better screwhole in them.

iused treated wood,lag bolts countersunk straight through with stainless 1/4"lag bolts,washers,lock washers and lock nuts with jam nuts also.i didnt overlap the carpet,i cut it so it didnt overlap.they seem to drain ok.on my 2nd year with them.

i had a set replaced under semi warranty,i paid labor they paid for the wood,never go that way again.charged me$50 to do it.i didnt pay that much for the material to do them this last time!

I guess I did expect them to last longer than three full years. I understand the bean counters too. I have had a deck on my house for almost 20 years and I have the same treated wood. I live in Iowa and it sees extremes in temps and moisture. It seems they should last longer. Oh well, I have two changed and will get the other 2 changed out shortly. Owning a boat is a lot of fun, but 'it'll cost ya!'

Thanks for the comments.

Steve

I was just wondering, I know they sell for decks, some sort of plastic or composite boards, supposed to last a lifetime, I wonder if they come in 2x4 or 2x6 sizes ( or whatever the size needed for bottom bunks) and would be worth the cost if they'd last 10 years or more versus 2-4 years with wood. Has anyone tried these boards or heard of anyone trying them? Although my trailer's a 2002, from underneath it already looks like the wood's splitting big time lengthwise, and also looks like it's untreated......I may replace 'em just in case at the end of this season...... egMike

I know of a boat lift maker in Minnesota that uses composite

material for their bunks. Supposed to last forever.

Mike, that's the answer! I've been mulling it over in my head what kind of synthetic material would hold a screw and never rot. I know a lumber yard that sells that kind of decking materal. I'm going to check it out.

Harpo

Hey watch those "Bean Counter" remarks there! I Do work Accounting ya know;) 1 for you...15 for me....1 for you..

TEE

Be careful about that decking... Decking is supported every 18 or 24 inches. One of my bunks is 9 feet long. Make sure you get something that's got GOOD strength (then again, how much can a 9' run of pine really have)...

Mike S., never thought of that, maybe that composite wouldn't be strong enough? Now ya got me wondering if I should just go ahead and use wood when I replace them. Good point, food for thought.... egMike

Tee, don't get offended. Some of my best friends are beancounters. Besides your head isn't pointy at all. LOL My problem is when the accounting dept. does the work of the engineering dept.

How would a more water resistant wood work? I'm thinking redwood or oak.......I don't know? Would coating the boards with creosote be too messy?

Harpo

I thought the composite was a great idea so I contacted CertainTeed Corp makers of Boardwalk, a composite decking material, and asked them if their product could be used inj a boat trailer bunk application. Their answer is below. However, I still have a nagging notion to get some and try it. The span between supports would probably be it's downfall. Decks have support every 16 inches or so. Nothing like that on a trailer. Also you can't use the composite material for any decking support such as joists, etc.

> To: [email protected] <[email protected]>

> Date: 7/8/2003 2:12:12 PM

> Subject: RE: Contact Us Consumer Email Response Form

>

> Dear Sam,

> No, I'm afraid Boardwalk is not meant to be used for anything structural and

> should not be used in that application.

>

> Jennifer Slozer

> CertainTeed Corp

> Sales Support Group

> 800-233-8990

> [email protected]

Something you may want keep in mind...they make them out of 2x4's for a reason. They are soft enough to conform to the bottom but strong enough to support the weight of the boat.

TEE

But the center of the bunk DOESN'T support any weight!

It acts as a guide when the boat is going on and off the trailer. From then on, most of the bunk just rests against the hull and conforms to its shape. The only real load-bearing areas are where the bunk attaches to the supports from the trailer.

me!

It supports more than you think in the middle...why do you think it bends.....I've heard about that Trex material. I've never used it....is it expensive?

TEE

If I replace these soon....I'm gonna' look at it...and where can ya' get it.

TEE

Latest posts

Back