Trailer winch handle loose

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Newman

Reaction score
I have a 2003 PT175 that I have owned since new. I have just noticed the las ttime out that the handle on the boat winch seems to be getting lose like it is egging out the hole in the handle that the shaft goes through. I tried to take the nut off the end of the bolt/shaft and it just spins like it is stripped out and never loosens. I was looking at the assembly to see if there was another way to dis-assemble but did not see anything obvious to me. I also noticed that the teeth on the small drive gear seem to be starting to deform. Is this a normal wear out in 4 years and do people replace the entire winch or just the gears/shaft/handle?

DS - I have the same boat only a model year 2002, but purchased in 2003 (leftover stock). After four years, the winch is still holding up well, including use to crank up the boat all the way up the bunks (although I try to powerload as much as possible). Yours sounds like its wearing a bit early. Rather than trying to rehabilitate what sounds like a winch on its last legs, it may be worthwhile to replace it altogether with a new winch. Bass Pro sells 1400 pound capacity winches for about $30.00. Seems a lot easier than taking apart and trying to rebuild the old one.

Concur on replacing the entire unit. I had mine go (2002) with the teeth in the gear(s) just totally gone. Simple replacement and very inexpensive. Peace of mind by replacing.

I had the same thing go bad on my 2005 750DC. I was pretty dang unhappy that this crapped out on a '05 trailer. I checked, and yes it was made in the US. What I think happens is that the nut loosens a little and it gets a little sideways stripping out quickly. Anyhow I have a buddy with a welder and it was a fast fix to permanently nail it into place- Permanently. Just removed the nut (wasn't easy) and welded the handle to the shaft. Was faster than going to get another one (and free). If you do this, for what its worth, I shot mine with a little extra black paint to keep it from rusting. Anyhow they are not expensive and are very easy to change out. If you had to pay a welder it would probably be cheaper to get a new one.

Latest posts

Back