Trailer Tires

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bart Johnson

Reaction score
So the Trail America tires on my 2012 Z6 are almost shot and I am looking for replacements. I have a couple of questions. 1). Are the Tracker Marine tires any good? I was thinking of dropping the spare into rotation so I would only have to buy one tire. Don't want to waste my time if they won't last. 2) is it possible to change to 14" wheels on this rig? Thanks for the feedback. :wacko:

I just replaced the tires on my 2012 z6 go with radials. the tries that came with mine got about 450 miles and were shot.Everybody says radials is the way to go hope this helps I found some local for 57.00 each.

Sounds about right. I replaced the tires on my 2011 Z6 within the first year. I would not buy anymore. I prefer the Goodyear Marathons.

I have the tracker tires which came on trailer new. After two years they are shot. Trying myself which tires to buy now. Mine wore on the outside edge of both tires. Axle seems ok, just crap tires I hope.

Yep...they're crap!

Had Carlisles with good luck but, just switched to Power King Tow Max...so far after a year they're wearing great.

I had concerns with the buying another Tracker tire to go with the spare. The Trail America tires are doing the same as everyone else is describing. Inside and outside edge of each tire is worn smooth and no wear in the center and they have always been run at the proper tire pressure. I only have about 600 miles on the trailer. I will start the search for a new pair. Thanks for the input.

So, just called the closest Nitro dealer and he requested for me to call back tomorrow to speak with the manager. He said they were having known issues with the Trail America tires and that he might can replace them for free. Will keep you posted.

Have a look in my library at my CRAP Trail China/America tires that also lasted less than 500 miles. I replaced mine with Yokohama light truck radials and have done probably 3,000 miles easily since and they are great.

Sent Tracker pics and swapped emails with the rep but unfortunately, it really was a no care attitude because of how far away I am.

My main concern was if it had failed, and caused an accident or injury etc, I would be responsible for the condition of the trailer that I chose to tow.

My trail america's delaminated after no time at all. I have high end trailer radial tires now. BIG difference and worth the money.

fatrap

I sold my 901CDX and bought a Z9 out of NC...Jimmy McMurray had it before me and only put 60 hrs on it. The back two tires (tandem trailer)had already worn badly on the outside and, when we complained there must be an axel problem, Tracker sent me 2 new Tire America tires new. At least there acknowledging a problem!!!!!

For the new to Nitro bass boat trailers, when you pick up your new boat swing by the tire shop and get the tires balanced, cause they haven't been. Option 2 is while you are at the tire shop have them put on a good set of tires cause the ones you just got on your new trailer are a piece of dookie, I like the Marathons just wish they still came in white letters.

Maxis or Kuhmo need to be looked at if you are getting new tires. Load range "D" 60lb cold pressure, rated to 90mph.

I replaced the load range C with load range D tires. Less flexing with the 8-ply tires translates into longer tread life. I replace the tires every 3 years regardless of the remaining tred so no reason to go with radials for my use of the trailer/boat.

Mine blew out this weekend. Went to Sams club and ordered Goodyear Marathon Radials total cost for two mounted and balanced was $217.63.

Watch those GY Marathons, they have a reputation for coming apart. From what I understand, they moved the plant to China and the QC went down hill. I had to buy a new set a few months ago and I went with Kuhmo 857s. I've put several thousand miles on them already and they are doing great. I especially like the D load rating since I only have a single axle.

RH

I had to buy a new set a few months ago and I went with Kuhmo 857s. I've put several thousand miles on them already and they are doing great. I especially like the D load rating since I only have a single axle.

RH

Best trailer tires you can get for a single axle. Rated for 99mph as well.

Remember with the Kuhmo's that you may need to drop down a size. They are sized European and are bigger. Here's the real deal on trailer tires as told to me by the independent tire guy I use and who can sell and mount any tire he chooses:

Trailer tires are like car oil. They need to be on a replacement schedule just like you change your oil. They are not car tires and you cannot run them to no remaining tread and replace them. They have a lifespan of 3-5 years no matter how much tread is left on them. It can go more or less depending on how you care for them. The skill is to match the # of miles you are going to drive (tread life) with the timeframe (3 to 5 years) or lifespan of the tire. You are wasting your $$ if you buy a top end tread life tire that has 50% of its tread left at the time you need to replace it (3-5 years). Match the treadlife to the # of miles you plan to drive in the 3-5 year range. There's a lot of wiggle room in the #'s but that is a guide.

I agree with him and add the caveat that if you regularly overload your trailer (big boat on single axle) or load it to it's max capacity, then the higher dollar tire may be better. I put Powermax Tow Max on my trailer before I left for Wisconsin and had them balanced. Because I have a dual I don't need the higher capacity. Here's another tip....BALANCE THEM!! Most trailer and/or tire shops will tell you they never balance trailer tires but it is necessary!! Also have them use sticky weights on the inside of the rims...Why? Because if you have a nice trailer with fiberglass fenders, the traditional wheel eights are pinched onto the rim and although the weights themselves won't rust, the clips that hold them will and I can tell you a wheel weight hitting the inside of your trailer fender at highway speeds WILL do some damage. Don't ask me how I know!! And the last thing is to check you air pressure on a very regular basis. When I got my trailer back, I noticed extra bulging and more sidewall flex than I thought was needed towing it home. When I got home I checked the pressure and all 4 were at 37lbs pressure!!

That's my rant on tires!!:cool:

Latest posts

Back