Trailer Tires on new boat wearing out!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy Heath

Reaction score
I purchased a new PT 190 in April. I was driving home from a tournament today and checked my trailer tires. I noticed that the inside tread on both tires is completely worn down. What do you guys think that the problem is? Bent axel or should I just get better tires like radials? Thanks in advance for replies.

Are both of your tires properly inflated (usually 50psi)?

Under inflated tires will cause uneven wear.

Radials are going to be better than bias ply, but they should not wear out that fast. First check your tire pressure and make sure it's at or close to the recommended cold tire press. My 170DC axle was slightly bend and caused the same thing, they replaced the axle and i had radials put on and no more problems. If your axle is bent, you should be able to notice it from a distance. Look at the tires in relation to flat ground and you should be able to tell.

Eric

Under inflated tires is a common source of most tire issues. Check your pressure and pump up to 50psi COLD (i.e., after the trailer has been sitting a while). There is a chance you have a misaligned axle, but under inflation is an easier check and more likely problem source. Checked a buddy's trailer the other day and his 19' glass boat trailer had 25psi in one tire and 35psi in the other (DOH!).

I agree, tire pressure is the first place to go. I have a 95 170TF and the axle was very "wimpy" and it bowed under the weight of the boat, causing the same wear you are describing. I ordered a custom axle out of Florida that is rated for 3500lbs, added new springs and no more issues. It may be a little overkill for a 17ft glass boat, but I only like to do fixes one time:D Best of luck to ya.

JP

Underinflated tires will wear on both the inside and outside as they will cup. If it is just on the inside I would surmise that it is the axle. Probably not strong enough and it is bowing.

Radials will help but will still wear on the inside.

Randy!

Latest posts

Back