Trailer signal light issue

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donnie Cilla

Reaction score
New to the site, running a 2008 z6 nitro w/ 115 optimax. First bass boat and loving every year of it. Happy to find a site with fellow owners. Be glad to share my experiences and knowledge with anyone.

Heres the problem im having;

Bulb keeps burning out on my rear turn signal due to water getting in, I wasnt the one to replace the bulb the first time it burned but I didnt notice a seal when I swapped it out the second time. Shouldnt there be some kind of gasket to prevent water from getting onto the bulb? I didnt see a crack in the red reflector or the clear glass shield that encases the bulb yet water keeps getting in and im burning out bulbs. On top of burning bulbs the bulb socket is becoming corroded. Anyone else have a similar issue? I was thinking of siliconing the cover and letting it dry then installing it to make a proper seal without making a mess when and if I do need to change a future bulb.

Get some new LED taillamps to replace your old ones. You're right there's a rubber gasket that should be around the cover that fits over the bulbs and underneath the red lens. Doubt you can find one. On the LEDs, Harbor Freight has them pretty cheap at the link below. I found a coupon on line and got them for about $35 delivered.
http://www.harborfreight.com/one-pair-submersible-trailer-led-lights-94137.html

Sometimes these problems can be hard to find. Best solution would be to replace the old incandescent bulbs with LED's. They are totally waterproof. Cost is normally around 50-75 dollars for a set, doesn't take long to spend $50.00 in replacement bulbs at todays prices. Check on ebay for the best deal. The best part, no more burnt out bulbs.

You can also unplug the lights when you get to the ramp and let them cool down while you are going through your pre-launch routine. They will be cool before you dunk the trailer.

But I'm cheap and don't want to throw money at things I don't have to.

Jim in Va is right. I replaced mine with LEDs . Not only better when wet, but much brighter.

I replaced my right light twice and on the third I bought the LED's. Walmart has the perfect fit and are cheap.

Get LEDs. I did and have yet to mess with them. They are also MUCH brighter. If Harbor Freight usually has the best prices...BPS is the highest.

Ron

Latest posts

Back