Trailer crossmember rusting out

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jody Woodruff

Reaction score
My 2005 929 trailer has 3 of the crossmembers rusting out with one cracking. So much for the Galvashield. This trailer has never been in salt or brackish water and never in contact with road salt since I live in central Texas. Anyone else have the same issue? Think there is any point in contacting Tracker? I'm thinking about taking it in to a shop and having the crossmembers replaced with channel and get that tubing garbage off. My 1997 896 had the same problem when it was 7 years old but I thought the Galvashield fixed that issue when I bought the 929 in '05. Evidently not since my 2005 is rusting even worse thant the '97.

I don't think Tracker can/will help. I've never read the warranty on the trailer though. Funny though, I had a 2000 929 that got dunked in the Potomac (brackish) the Rappahanock (brackish)and finished it's life in Florida (very brackish). Without any "major" rust. I never flushed that trailer or did anything special. Tube trailers are just gonna rust because of their design. They rust from the inside out. I did have a long drive from the lake(s) home so I think it blew dry every time. No water=no rust. I am seriously thinking about an aluminum trailer for my next boat just so the rust monster never rears it's ugly head again.

TOXIC

You must have got a good one Tox because my last 2 have been garbage. I expect some rust but not to the degree mine has totally rusted through and began to crack up. I'm taking it in today and going to have a welder fix me up.

Is there possibly something naturally corrosive in the waters you are fishing in? Mine is an 05, no galvashield and still is pretty clean. I did have to replace my bunks but that is on about all makers.

Good question Berry. I wondered that too but other guys in my club with tube trailers aren't having the same issue. I think it's just because they don't completely drain and ever dry out. I fish pretty much every weekend so it's been dunked in the lake quite a few times. I'm going to weld some angle iron on they and cut bigger drain holes and should have it fixed up for the next 7 years. My advice is to crawl under your trailers and look them over just to be sure.

Chinese Super Steel?

Must be the same place they get their aluminum now:unsure:

Persoanlly i have never liked tube trailers. I have never had a problem but i know plenty of guys that have over the years. The only trailers i have ever seen last a really long time are all c-channel frames. A guy that used to be in my club had a c-channel trailer that is now close to 30 years old with very little rust on it and its totally sound. Im not sure why they dont all go back to using them.

Got word back from Tracker and as expected they won't be of any help. The trailer was covered for a year so I expected that response but figured it was worth trying. Just a shame a trailer won't last longer than 6 and half years before cracking up from rust.

Now that I think about it, one of our long lost members (Hutch) had a 929 trailer that rusted out pretty bad, bad enough that he bought a new trailer. It was good for me because I got the rims/tires off the old one!!:lol:

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back