Tracker Trailer Tires

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenn Jamerson

Reaction score
I have a 1998 ProTeam 185. I bought it used and have had it for almost a year. My problem is tire wear. The second treads on both the inside and outside of the tire seems to be the only place the tires wears. The tires are Carlyle. I think the size is 5.50 X 12 or 13, whatever the standard size is for that trailer. The guy I bought it from had the same problem and said he had balanced and aligned the wheels and it didn't help. I check the air before every trip and inflate to the maximum recommended pressure but they still wear wrong. Any tips on correcting this or can this size tire be replaced with a radial without replacing wheels also? If wheel and tire needs to be replaced is there any problem with them bolting on properly? Thanks in advance because I know some of you helpful people will have the answers to my questions.

I had the same problem, not the same size tire, but they were carlisle tires.. Personally I think the Bias are junk.

I actually had the tread seperate on two different occasions. Now that was not fun!

I replaced mine with Radials and no more problems

I have a used 1999 PT185 w/90 merc and had the same problem. It ended up being a bent axle. If you look at the newer PT's like 2001's and up, you will see Tacker went with a larger diameter axle. I wonder why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully I won't get my head taken off here but, here goes anyway. I had the same problem with my 02' 185 tires. I found that if you don't run them at 50 PSI...then they'll wear bad. It seems to be more on one side with mine so I just took off my spare and have run it about 3000 miles so far with no cupping @ 50 PSI. Those bias plies seem to wear on the inside and outside with flat spots if under-inflated.

TEE

Can't say for sure without the trailer vin, but I don't think that is the correct size tire. I know from '99 up (since I've worked parts here) that trailer has had a B78X13ST with a chrome wheel. Check the size again, and e-mail me the vin #.

Craig

Tire wear on both inside and outside with a good center is low tire pressure? Now once a tire starts to wear it is already to late to save the tire,it will always wear that way. An over exageration is to take an empty paper cup and try and roll it in a straight line? this will help to show the effect of tire wear.

BF

Now you've got it Bruce...I ran mine too low from the get-go..and that's what started it all.

TEE

...and here I thought all of you "Buckeye's" were FULL of air!! LOL.....Happy Holiday's Tee....be safe out there!!

Cheer's BigDog!!

Mac

Consider it done!! LOL (Going to meet Mini in a couple of hours to do that very thing!! Then I'm off work until Jan. 5th.....will just be chillin'/grillin'/'toonin' and nappin'!! I need the break!!

Mac

Hey BTW Mac...you makin' it to the Rally? Me and the "other" half are definitely gonna' try to meet some of you NTOWS members.

TEE

I doubt it,....might be there for the FLW tournament though but I can't do both. Sure had fun in NY though!!

I am the original poster on this topic. The tires were beginning to wear like that when I bought the boat. I know about underinflation and air to 50 lbs when I tow it but maybe since they had already started to wear that way the proper inflation didn't help. I keep my tow vehicle tires at maximum inflation and regularly get 80,000 miles or more. My wife got 88,000 miles on her car before the tires had to be replaced. Also, it is not the outside ribs that are wearing it's the second ribs on both sides.

Second rib on both sides?

That would be right at the edges of the belts.

Sounds like the tires were built poorly.

Latest posts

Back