Tracker Targa vs Pro Guide

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking at the Tracker line of boats and want to know if anybody has any insight on the Targa 18-WT or the Pro Guide 17-WT. Any thoughts or input from would be greatly appreciated.

Hey All,

this is a new member! i recomended him to this site to find as much info he could before buting his first fishing rig.

So Please fill him guys...

Good like mike, i know these guys and gals will hook you up.

GregD

Basic difference in the two is design. Targa is for bigger water, the Pro Guide is more for inland waters. Don't quote me on this, but the Targa probably has a deeper cockpit area, wider beam, taller transom, and a welded hull. The Targa probably has the next grade up on accessories.

I have a Deep-V 17, the predecessor to the current Pro Guide, and it's fine for most any water. Get's a little much for it on Erie somethimes, but that's what I have the Tundra for. :)

The targa is the one I would chose. However I would get closer to max. H.P. The 150 opti is a good motor.

A 115 would be a little week, I own an 18ft DC Tundra with a 150 that will run around 52 MPH

Troy

I have a ProAngler, similar to the Pro Guide. Given the choice, I would go with the Targa, just for the option of the bigger water.

Rich D

Both are built by the same guys in Bolivar, MO. If you aren't turned away by the $ on the Targa 185 WT I would go that way. The differneces in the two boats are in the details.

Like someone above mentioned the Targa is built to take bigger water than the PGV. Add in the fact that you get a radio, a 4th seat, toe kicks, bigger T/M, battery charger, 10 more gallons of l/w space, ton more storage, and much bigger gunnels it makes it hard to compare the two.

If seriously looking at the Targa 185 I would try to upgrade to atleast the 135 optimax. It will be a night and day difference in performace with the V6 Optimax over the 3 cylinder 115.

Just my opinions

There is a bit of difference in a Pro vs. Targa. The Targa is built with heavier gauge aluminum, deeper inside, and the gunwales are much bigger. This is why it's for bigger water.

I had a 2001 Targa 17WT with a 60, I bought it second hand I felt it was under powered but a good sturdy boat. The fella I sold it too loves it and hasn't had any problems with it.

Good Luck!

Cass

I have a '04 Targa 17DC rigged with a 115 Opti pushing a Trophy Plus 4 blade SS prop. Livewells/baitwells full, 2 big guys, full day's worth of gear/necessities, it tops out at 42.6 GPS. It is an awesome ride, never ever wet, tons of room & storage, very shallow draft evenly distributed, fully loaded(14"). There is no where I'd worry about taking this boat (big water, shallow bays, stump bays, etc). I love the boat & would only switch for a Tundra some day possibly. IMHO the 18WT w/115 Opti would be terribly underpowered.......

Maj

Have a 03 Targa with the 115 4stroke.. Good boat !!

The new Targa's have a 25" transon and the longer motor More trim range..

Go with at least a 115hp --135 hp is even better and trailer brakes--

Also--a 24v. TM with 54"-60" shaft.. 50" may be to short in heavy chop.

And as above -- I would only trade for a Tundra with a 150-175hp.:wub:

Super safe boat for kids Lots of "free board" --but they can catch the wind and push you along pretty good .. I use 2 drift socks..when drift fishing..

Good Luck-- Also take a test ride in both--if you can..

Rick

Latest posts

Back