Tracker Pro Guide 17 moving batteries?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Wilson

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2007 Tracker Pro Guide 17 with a 24 volt Minnkota bow mount trolling motor. I have 3 batteries in total (2 deep cycle and 1 starting) all in a storage compartment in my back deck. I would like to add a 4th battery to hook up my electronics (radio, fish finders, electric downriggers...) but there is not enough room in my back compartment, as well my boat is already quite stern heavy.

I had to remove my front deck to do some work on my livewell and discovered lots of empty space in front of my bow livewell. So I am thinking about building a bow storage compartment under my front deck and move my 2 deep cycle batteries up to the bow. Resulting in reducing weight in the back of my boat, as well as freeing up space in the back to add the extra battery to run my electronics.

Just looking for any thoughts on the idea, before I start to do anything.

Thanks,

JimW

I always shied away from putting them up front. Sometimes the front of the boat takes a good beating in rough water.

Personal opinion....I would run all your accesories off the starting battery. It is charging back via alternator unless you are sitting dead in the water with motor off. With downriggers, locator etc, I assume you are moving and your starting battery is getting a charge. Same can't be said for a remote battery.

When I am trolling I am using a portable 6hp outboard, so I can not charging my starting battery.

My main concern is any potential issues I may not have thought of with moving the trolling motor batteries to the bow, such as front of boat taking a beating in rough water.

Thanks

JW

Didn't know about the kicker. That's one of the reasons I went with a trolling plate for the big motor. This is aluminum, yes? I mounted a tray on the deck for a front battery on one of my boats. Box, tie down strap etc and it never moved in any rough water. I guess it depends if you want or need the extra room up there. I was more into utility than appearance.

The battery moving around is less of an issue than the beating it will take up there in rough water. The potential for knocking a plate loose and wrecking the batteries will go up a lot. You will also lose some bow lift due to the extra 100+ pounds up there, it will effect the way your boat drives.

I would upsize the starting battery to a group 27 or 31. Im sure you have a couple extra inches you can squeeze on in there and it will give you plenty of power so you wont have to worry about running stuff.

I upsized the one on my z7 for a 27 AGM and i can run my livewell pumps on manual full on all day and my electronics and it still cranks my 175 opti over without breaking a sweat.

Thanks for the tip Jim B, upgrading my starting battery should serve my purpose with minimal messing around.

JimW

Four batteries as you describe your needs is over kill IMHO. I ran three long days this spring with no charge on my starting battery except for the short run to the fishing grounds. I was running marine radio, two depth finders and the stero at times. The last day the battery didn't start the engine and I took my jumper cables and hooked it to a trolling motor battery. 150hp kicked right off.

fatrap

I have a 2012 Pro-Guide V-175 and the trolling batteries are mounted up front below the deck just in front of the windshield line. This was down at the factory and so far it's a non-issue as far as beating them in a chop.

Latest posts

Back