Tracker Avalanche Questions and comments on BWB Review

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After reading the review on the Tracker Avalanche in the Bass and Walleye Boats magazine, I was very impressed at how they rated the boat. The boat weight shows 1505lbs, but I thought the weight was around 1370lbs. Is this only on previous models and extra weight is added to the boat somewhere on newer models? Also it seams that they could have got a few more mph out of the rig since it was turning the 150 Optimax a few hundred rpms below what it can safely reach. Also, the article says this boat doesn't have a conventional pad which I think is a false statement. I have looked at the bottom of these boats and they have a V-pad design. Seems like they really liked the way the boat was wired, the quality of construction and the way it handled in rough water. I am really looking for comments as to how this boat holds up since I am seriously considering buying one. What motor would you suggest putting on it? I would probably put the 150XR6 on it due to the price differences on the Opti. Could this boat reach mid sixties with the 150XR6?

Also their holeshot wasn't very good at a little over 6 seconds. From what I've read, it should be about 2-3 seconds which also leads me to believe this boat wasn't set up properly.

I've said all along that the Avalanche is Tracker's BEST aluminum bass rig IMHO...bar none. I drove Bassin'Fool's and it has a 150XR6 on it,...it runs GREAT and the holeshot is excellent! (His was WAAYY under 6secs!!...more like 3...it jumped out of the hole!!)

BTW,...with gas at almost $3.00/Gal........the XR6 isn't the "bargain" it use to be....XR6's are THIRSTY!!..get a 175 Opti on that badboy and you'll love it!!

Mac

James, I have one with the 150 opti and it runs 58-61 depending on the load. Looking at that review and picts they did not get all there facts straight. The motor was way to low from the picts and prop to pad 2" no way. When they test boats they are almost empty, nothing in them. Mine is loaded very heavy lots of tackle, 4 batts, tool kit ect. The ride is very dry and it does have a pad. Great boat you will be very happy with one. I run a 6" jackplate which will give you great bow lift and get the sea star. Any ? let me know.

CJ.

I've had my Avalanche for 4 seasons now. Mine was one of the first off the production line.

As a fishing platform I love the boat. The boat fishes two people comfortably at the front due to the wide deck. Storage space is more than adequate, I haven't been able to fill all of mine.

The extra weight ,"and I'm guessing" is probably due to extra reinforcing the've added to the hull to keep the pad from developing a hook (concave in the bottom). This seems to have been a problem with the early models. (Mine has developed a hook in the running pad)

Another problem is the seat. The plastic covered seat ends up ripping out at the seams where you step in the middle to get to the back pad. I'm having mine re-upholstered this winter with better material. Suggestion, If your going to be fishing areas with extremely heavy weed cover, upgrade trolling motor to a Minnkota. (65 or 70 lb thrust is plenty)

Mine would run by myself under normal conditions at 63 mph with the Mercury XR6, with a 23 pitch tempest plus, engine mounted in 4th hole down.

Hope this helps.:):)

Guys,

You have to remember.... the XR6 is gone for 2006. Completely. That's probally why Tracker sent that boat rigged with a OptiMax. That, and the fact that they wanted the best "overall" score, not just the holeshot and top speed. It obviously worked for them, as the Avalanche came out on top.

You also have to consider that the boats in the test were not modified from what the factory sent to them. BWB asked those companies to send the boats rigged out they way the FACTORY wanted them rigged out for the shootout. Otherwise, BWB probally would have tweeked every one of them to get max speed, etc... They did show in the article that the Tracker was not maxed out to the rated 175, and that the Triton was rigged "conservatively" also.

Overall, I think it was a good article.

All the best,

Glenn

Hey guys who have them (and know), I was confused by the same statement as JC

"With a conventional (nonpad) hull"

So B&WB clearly implies that the other 4 aluminum boats have "pad" hulls and the Avalanche does not. Is that true?

I have a few more questions for the Avalanche owners. Do you feel that the Trailstar trailer is sufficient for towing this boat? Is this a good trailer? I would really like to get a tandem axle trailer, but I don't know if they offer one for this boat. Also do the dual consoles take up too much space in the boat? When hitting stumps, has your hull dented any?

The trailer is just fine, I haul that thing from Va.to the Canada border with a gmc 4x4 p/u and it's no problem at all as long as you keep it under 80. Mine is a d/c and there is plenty of room . I have got it stuck on a stump or two with no`problem but i don't hit them a speed.

CJ.

I've never had any problems with my trailer. When I bought mine there was no option for brakes on the trailer so mine has none. If I was to slam on my brakes at speed the boat and trailer would push me some additional distance. The newer boat trailers have breaks.

As for denting in the haul I have one place near the front where I slammed down on to the trailer wheel well hard from a wave and the boat dented. It's near the front and has no effect when running on plane.:)

Latest posts

Back