TOX - WWII Memorial

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Zuber

Reaction score
Tox-

Have you been to the new WWII Memorial yet?

How did the location end up working out...I remember hearing lots of flack when the location was proposed...

az

Dedication is this weekend. DC is ramping up for it since most of the attendees will be "older". From what I hear it will be nice, I will wait till after the hoopla to go see it completed.

TOXIC

Saw it last weekend, worth going to, At the visitors center you can look up veterans by name on three computer stations outside with 2 monitors each, one right at eye level, the other about 3 feet overhead. if Vet was "sponsored" by someone, I.E. they accessed the web site and submitted the name with particulars, including photo they can be found. Most of those Killed in action are in the data base. They have tried to find references through cemetaries and such from the war. I tried to look up my dad and found he wasn't entered into the data base yet, I am working this issue, It is really great to see at night.

took photo's with a Kodak throw-away, didn't have my 35MM with me.

If you visit the site go to the visitors center and pick up the brochure they have and then ask them to stamp it. the stamp "certifies" the date you were there.

During the dedication you may notice that there are 6 spaces in the wall looking towards the Washington monument. these spaces are for 6 bronze inserts that are not finished yet. They can't get it done prior to Saturday's dedication.

The airspace will be patrolled by DEA, Coast Guard (Potomac). Numerous law enforcement agencies every where else. Area's near the stadium and the pentagon are staging sites for WW II vets to be taken to the site for the dedication, with wheel chair accommodations. Due to the advanced age of the visitors, extraordinary efforts have been made to support the vets and families if medical issues arise. Medical units will be on scene, medical personnel and pre staged defibrilators in the metro stations, ambulances on duty at the site, hospitals are geared up.

DC is ready to go for this ceremony.

Mike

Latest posts

Back