Towing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Waldrop

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Chevy pick-up with the 5.3L engine. I tow in 3rd with the O.D switch on, is this the best way to tow. I seem not to get good gas mileage in the way or should I be towing in O.D. with the tow/haul switch on? Also I was thinking about getting a Flowmaster put on my truck, I was want to know if anyone has this, and what are the dislikes and likes about the Flowmaster.

I tow a 901 with an '01 Chevy always in OD w/ the tow switch on. Have yet to encounter any problems and tranny never seems to be "searching" even when towing through the few hills we have here in N. Texas

I've had several different aftermarket exhaust systems installed on previous vehicles and the Flowmaster system was definitely the best. However, have had several different sources tell me recently that Borla makes an even better system...costs about the same and not near as loud as Flowmaster with no performance sacrifice. Either way, you'll definitely notice a difference with a more wide-open exhaust system. Should be putting one on my truck pretty soon, will let you know.

I've also added a K&N Filtercharger system and a Hypertech computer reprogrammer. Both helped my truck tremendously and cost less than $600.

I added the K&N filter and the Jardine cat-back system (about $220) to my Jeep Grand Cherokee, and noticed an average 1.8 mpg improvement. Borla makes a good system but costs a litle more.

Russ

Mike...according to Chevrolet Motor Division, you can tow in DRIVE(D). You may want to shift the transmission to THIRD(3)or, if necessary, a lower gear selection if the transmission shifts too often (e.g.,under heavy loads and/or hilly conditions).

The "Tow/haul" selection is designed to be most effective when the vehicle and trailer combined weight is at least 75% of the vehicle's Gross Combined Weight(GCWR). Tow/haul is most useful under the following driving conditions:

a) When pulling a heavy trailer or a large or

heavy load through rolling terrain.

b) When pulling a heavy trailer or a large or

heavy load in stop and go traffic.

c) When pulling a heavy trailer or a large or

heavy load in busy parking lots where

improved low speed control of the vehicle is

desired.

Operating the vehicle in tow/haul when lightly loaded or with no trailer at all will not cause damage. However, there is no benefit to the selection of tow/haul when the vehicle is unloaded. Tow/haul is recommended only when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load.

Regards,

Gary Cooke

Thanks everyone who answer my questions. Now Gary if I understand right, what you are saying is--- I can tow in Drive(D) with the tow/hual on but if I drive on hilly roads/terrain and stop and go traffic I should switch to 3rd(3)with the tow/haul switch on. I'm I right? Thanks again everyone!!!

Latest posts

Back