Towing with Ford Explorer Sport

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Anyone tow a fiberglass boat (about 2500-3000lbs) with this vehicle? If so, how does it perform? I believe 2001 and up have 203hp and 237 torque and are rated for 4940 lbs. Can this vehicle cut it?

I've towed my 188 Nitro Sport with a 2000 Explorer sport with the lower power engine. It seemed to be more than able to handle it, power wise, but it was a little light in the front end. Got some helper springs for the rear, but never installed them, and have since traded that vehicle for an '03 4-dr Explorer. Haven't tried the new one yet.

I towed my 882 with a 99 Exploder Sport. It was sufficient but did not have the wheelbase to be very comforting and stopping got hairy at times. It will work but I am glad I am not using it any longer. Mine had the SOHC engine which had a little more power than the regular 4.0L they offered.

--Corey

I used to have a 1998 and I loved it. I towed tin back then. Just wondered how it would do with glass.

Why sure Teri, I pull a 18' fish/ski with a ext cab Ranger, 4 litre V6 with no trouble. Have to be a little more careful when stopping. An Explorer is about the same size as a full size, sort bed truck.

The Sport is the 2 door Explorer not the Sport Trac truck.

Towing isn't a problem. The problem is in stopping.

Especially in an emergency situation.

Frank

Do trailer brakes help with stopping issues?

Even with anti locks on my full size Explorer and trailer brakes, I decided to give them a test the other day. No one behind me and a light turned yellow, I could have lawfully gone through but instead, I pegged the brake pedal just to see how quickly I could get the whole mess stopped. I did get stopped by the white intersection line and never locked up a tire but I did have the pedal/brakes FULLY engaged and oh what a feeling it is getting "pushed" down the road by your trailer. Always good to have a wake up call every now and then.

TOXIC

Toxic, do you think the 2 door model would tow any different than the 4 door Explorer?

Thanks Rich. Maybe some day when I buy my mini cooper I may buy the Sport as my tow vehicle. I just loved the one I used to have.

Terri,

Go to the Sport Trac web site and ask about the sport towing, That site has virtually all explorers and what people do with/to them, I'm sure you would get a good fact filled answer

Mr. Sterns site by the way, (one of)

Michael
http://www.mysporttrac.com

Yeah, it will be different, I have the v8, tranny cooler, and stiffer suspension. Look at the weight of the vehicles as well as wheelbase. The 2 door is lighter and shorter.

TOXIC

Latest posts

Back