Tournament V-18 & 150 HP Transom Woes

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
My confidence in the revised construction of the 2001, '02 and '03 transoms went up significantly after "The Storm" on Mother's Day weekend. In fact, it went up enough that I ran the boat hard on Lake of the Ozarks this weekend, on Saturday and Sunday when the big boys were out. Not always wide-open-throttle, mind you, but hard enough that we left the water and became airborne twice (boy, can an outboard overrev quickly if you're not careful).

I also learned that, in some cases, the faster you run, the drier you stay, even if it means a jarring, bouncing ride quality. It's also kind of fun to run side by side with a purty glass boat and see the look of disbelief on the other guy's face.

As far as fishing...well, let's just say we brought some crappie home, but for the most part it was pretty tough. The water is very clear, and the crappie were in their post-spawn scatter mode. One here, one there, never more than four off a brushpile. For every eight sub-legals, we'd catch one legal.

In the back of one cove, we talked to a couple who was relaxing on their dock. The conversation opened with the husband saying, "Nice looking boat. Do you like it?" After we finished talking and went around the other corner of their dock, we could see their very nice Skeeter Fish 'n Ski with a 225 Optimax. Made me feel good to know that a glass guy can give an honest compliment to a tin owner.

Even with the fishing being tough, it was hard to come home on Monday.

HEY!!,...how many times have we complimented Bassin'Fool on his Avalanche??...LOL!!!!!!....I still like those boats,...but given the events that have transpired over the past 5 mos,...I'm glad Tracker shot down my proposal to run one!!! Thanks Tracker,...and THANK YOU Ranger!!!..LOL!!

Latest posts

Back