There are so few still left

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Easterling

Reaction score
I'll make this as short as possible. I signed up for the Berkley Big Bass Tx on Lake Murray a couple of months ago and then was involved in an auto accident, which involved my boat, on the way home from the lake. My fishing buddies were either fishing the tx or involved in another so I email Pure Fishing to let them know I could not attend. She, Roxanne, said she had just gotten an email from a gentleman saying his regular partners were unavailable to fish and had an open seat if anyone needed a ride. Well I said yes and so did a Pure Fishing female employee. It just so happens that I was boat number 1 so we blast off and go to our first hole. I had enough time to make maybe 10 cast and the boat captain says "Jimmy, you need to get me back to the ramp". I am sure I looked like a dog hearing a strange noise because I was probably cocking my head from side to side and he said "I think I am having a heart attack". Well that woke me up, I am straping rods down as fast as I can while Charlene is on the phone getting an ambulance, popped that Skeeter with the 225 up and screamed back to the ramp, ignoring the no wake zone at the ramp to find a half dozen people there to help with the gentleman and the boat. He was able to get out of the boat and walk up the ramp and sit while we waited for the ambulance. I only glanced once but Charlene had him wrapped up in a jacket and her arms for the trip back to the ramp. Here's the "there are so few still left": I had never met the man before just talked to him on the phone for 10 minutes a couple of days earier and he said "You and Charlene go on back fishing, when you are done, put the boat back on the trailer and leave it in the parking lot, someone will pick it up". As I was beginning to say "Art, are you" he interrupts and repeats his order "You and Charlene go on back fishing, when you are done, put the boat back on the trailer and leave it in the parking lot, someone will pick it up". This is no crappy boat, 1994 or 96 Skeeter 202 with a 225 that looks like it just came off the show room floor. I would like to think I would have done the same thing but I am sorry to say it would have been hard to do.

His name is Art Lance from Florence, SC and is simple a super human being. He has had heart problems in the past and the cold ride had caused a severe angina attack and Art is doing fine, as a matter of fact, he called me after final weigh in to see how we had done, I hated to tell him we sucked.

You are so right. There are so few left. I am very happy to hear he is doing well and has many happy fishing trips ahead.

Kudos to you too! Great thinking by calling an ambulance from the boat, charging back to the ramp, etc.

We used to live just a couple of miles below Lake Murray and would cross the dam to get to Lexington, this was before I started bass fishing, but I can tell you the people of SC are as good as they come and I'm not surprised by the mans generosity.

At that time, early 80's, the lake was more known for stripers than bass.

Nice story and certainly glad that Art is doing well. I lived/fished in SC for 10 years, and most everyone that I came in contact with were pretty decent folks.

Tex

Jimmy - great story. Good to hear people like that still out there. As a suggestion (and only as a suggestion!), one way to pay this guy back is to take a course in CPR - seriously. We all need to look out for each other. Knowing what to do if Art had actually gone into full cardiac arrest could make a huge difference. It's also good to get training in the use of AED's. Those are around everywhere these days and knowing how to use it could make a huge difference. Again just a thought. Thanks for sharing the story.

Latest posts

Back