Tough to teach

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
I have taught a lot of guys to fish a jig and a lot to fish a jerkbait. Sometimes they catch on quickly and sometimes........not. I am in a group for our church that is doing outdoor stuff. We camped on an island on Friday night in 30 degree weather at night and rain. Still, I'm used to it and was quite comfy. The plan was to fish on Saturday. Now these other two guys have been friends and hunting buddies for years. I know they have a passion for hunting and until Saturday thought they were making their fishing capers up. Turns out....they were not.

They had told me that they had never really caught fish when fishing, and when they did, it was never more than 1 and with no real size. Rich, one of the guys warned me that he would jinx me and he never catches fish. I was confident in my spots and the time of year. I KNEW I could put him on at least some fish. So out we set.

We fished for about 4 hours. Now, the lake is VERY high and cold, at least 10 degrees below normal for this time of year. After all, if I can put Buzz on fish, then hey....LOL

Well, they did catch fish; 3 each. And apparently that was a record for each of them and the size was bigger than anything they had ever caught. The fish were only 2 - 3.5 lbs. Now, the reason I feel bad, is that despite the fact that I gave them identical baits, let them cast first, and would even have them cast to fish I raised, is that despite all my efforts, they caught 6 fish total, combined and I managed to boat about 40. At one point I had 7 fish in 7 casts. I wasn't trying to do it, it just kind of comes naturally.

I guess when it comes down to the actual feel and "knowledge" of how to get your retrieve just right, and what a bite feels like can't really be taught. It can be explained, and then has to be experienced to be learned. That is why I find it so hard to tell people what a jig bite feels like. You just have to experience it to learn it.

So the weekend was great, hope everyone had a good time. We caught some real pigs, and I will post some pics once I get them developed. Not quite as good as Mackelroy's, but close. Course, I wasn't on Mini's $#!+ either.

Great to share the experience and have it pay off...

Fishing the Chazey River I take it. I can't imagine anyone not catching a fish there this time of year. I caught a 5 lb smallie yesterday on my crappie jig and 4 lb line along with a 5-1/2 lb largemouth. I've only managed two eyes so far and the last one was a sick eye.

No Jim, we were fishing the flats for smallies.

Mike, you get yourself up here and I'll show you anytime.

Rob

Did you fish around the Alburg passage ? I'm wodering what the water temp is in that area .

No, I was down towards the central part of the lake which is much colder. The rivers and creeks are in the low to mid 50's. Main lake is about 47. Last I knew the north end around the passage was in the high 40's. Within the next week it should hit low 50's and that's when the smallies turn on heavy. 52 degrees is the magic number.

They are biting though, so if you guys are looking to come up, then do it. The nice part about the cold weather is that it's keeping a lot of people off the water. If you can take the cold wind, then you will have a great day of fishing.

Rob, I know what you mean. I was fishing with a freind a few years ago. I was catching fish on tubes, he was getting skunked on cranks. I was using a pink tube, but gave him a blue and silver one. I explained and showed him what I was doing. He still wasn't cathing anything. He says "it must be the color". I swaped rods with him and caught a fish on the 2nd or 3rd cast.:) I said " nope, not the color" :lol:

Gene

I did that with these guys. I was using one of my new Loomis rods with a Sustain on it. I gave them some of my lower end Castaways with FLW spinning reels. Still about $150 combo, but I'd rather seem then drop, break, or launch one of those as opposed to a $600 combo. But keep in mind that each of their combos were ones that I still use in tourneys.

At one point one of them said, "Yeah, must be that fancy rod."

I switched rods with him, proceeded to catch 3 or 4 fish, he caught none on the Loomis and then I switched back and said, "Yeah.....MUST be the rod!" LOL

But they cracked up about it. I tried to explain to them why I was catching more. One was a motocross racer and I used the analogy that if I were to jump on a 250R today and try to race against on whoops, burms, and table tops, I might get lucky enough to survive the course, but he would smoke me easy. He SHOULD, it's what he does. Likewise, I SHOULD be able to smoke them fishing....it's what I do.

Rob

Like I said before it's on the "to do list" Just thinking off hand what Kind of deal could I get for a guided weekend if I flew up early next summer?

fatrap

Latest posts

Back