Toothy Critter

• Thread starter Sisco Sisk [IMG]http://WWW.BUNNCAPITOL.COM/MUSKY.J
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sisco Sisk

Reaction score
What a fight this thing put up last weekend. She hit right at the boat and took about me about 10 minutes to get 'er in on 12lb test. I didn't have a tape, scale or camera so I don't know how big she was. Luckily another angler stopped and snapped a pic for me and was kind enough to mail me a copy. Fisherman sure are a good breed.

SISKO
MUSKY.JPG

Is that a Pike or a Musky?:huh: I know that seems like a dumb question to you northern types but we never see them kind of fish down here. I know you guys consider Pike a kind of pest but I would someday love to travel up north and hook up with a few of them.

Harpo

It's a musky and wasn't really caught north. Central Illinois and only a few lakes around here have them. Looks like they are thriving though!

Nice Muskie: Atleast the markings from this picture all appeare to be muskie. Definitly Muskie

It is a pretty nice muskie. I would say about 38-40 inches, probably around 12lbs.

Good job!

Rich D

Central Illinois is north to me.:) Do those guys screw up the bass fishing in a lake?

Harpo

Harpo,

Not at all. Muskie are like any other fish and will eat what is available, but they have little or no impact on other sport fish populations. It is no different than an adult bass eating bass or walleye fry.

Rich D

Sisko - Easy to figure out how long she is...

1. Measure the length of the oval on your shirt in both the picture and on the actual shirt.

2. Measure how many "ovals" long the fish is, and extrapolate out!!

How's that for a guy who got a D in College Algebra!!!:D

I was just thinking about down here in lakes where we have good Striper populations the Largemouth fishing is so-so. Not to say that you can't catch LM in those lakes it is a little tougher.

Would a guy with bass fishing tackle have any luck with Muskie fishing, with just adding some differant baits?

Harpo

Trep, you are a fart smeller.....:blink: Uhhhhh, I mean a smart feller.

Harpo

Nice catch, Sisko!

Did you by any chance get that at Shelbyville?

Harpo -

We just gotta get together some day..... There are good muskie populations at Pomme de Terre just outside of Springfield, MO.

P.S.

I've caught plenty of northerns and love those things - but I've never caught a muskie.....

If you have a medium heavy or heavy pitching set up, you would be fine.

For Spring and early summer I use 6 1/2 to 7' heavy rods capable of handling a bait up to 2 oz, with an abu garcia 5500 reel spooled with 40lb fireline and generally a 12" steel leader. Some Mepps muskie killers or crank/jerk baits in the 4-6" range.

Once Summer starts I go with rods up to 8' able to hold a bait up to 5oz or more, 80lb power pro line and baits up to

14". Although I always keep a rod with an inline spinner loaded. They work all the time!

Most importantly is having the proper landing and release tools with you. Believe it or not, they are pretty fragile fish and a long fight followed by a long release can kill a fish pretty easily. I keep in the boat a large net, long needle nose pliers, mini bolt cutters, and jaw spreaders. Many times it is safer for you and the fish to cut the hooks. The fish stays in the net in the water during the release, then off it goes.

Rich D

The best is when you have one following the lure through a couple figure 8's. You can just feel it getting mad!

Rich, I've seen on TV where they have a sort of cradle of a thing and the fish never really leaves the water. That's OK by me because I wouldn't look forward to sharing the boat with a PO'ed alligator.

Yeah Staci, we do need to get together. I keep thinking about coming up to Truman Lake sometime.

Harpo

Not this weekend..... But the next 3 are turkey season! Got a shotgun? :)

Hunt mornings; fish afternoons! :)

Out-of-state turkey tag is $145. :(

Nice 'Ski!! Those kinds of bites at the boat can make your heart skip a beat. Way to go!!

Harpo,

I am not a fan of the cradles, especially for someone inexperienced in their use. They are not good with 'green' fish and your body parts will get pretty close to the lure when landing. I have a net with a 30" hoop and a bag about 5' deep. Frabill is reintroducing their kwik cradle which is a cross between a net and cradle. That I like.

Rich D

Well you know how us old hippies are?;) He said he wanted a watch for Christmas.........so we let 'em.:lol:;)

Harpo

BTW how did you do that??

Talk about a "sinking fast" thread.... "watch for Christmas... So, we let him":unsure:

That's why I love this place... I ACTUALLY CLASS IT UP! :p

Remember what your mama always told you....
mother.jpg

"I don't like you hanging out with those boys...they're a bad influence on you!":lol:

Harpo

Latest posts

Back