tire

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP Heintzman

Reaction score
Gents, I know this issue has been addressed but I can't remember the remedy. I have a 170TF w/75 Merc on it, single axle trailer and I'm running Trail America tires. As you can see in the photo, the inside of the tire tread is worn smooth, leaving good tread on the rest of the tire. Both tires look the same and don't really have that many miles on them. In my opinion Tracker went cheap on the trailer axle and it probably flexes too much under the weight of the boat, nothing I can do about that. I had the tires balanced when I had them mounted. I had heard of use car tires, but I think we voted against that due to excessive flexing of the sidewalls? Not sure. Any assistance is greatly appreciated as I don't want a blowout on the road. Thanks all, hope your weekend is better than mine, replaced a water pump on the vehicle instead of going fishing, bummer!

tire.JPG

Jim

I would bet that either a good trailer shop or a front end alignment shop specializing in solid truck axle's would be able to square that axle up for you. It's obvious you've got a serious toe out and I'm pretty sure that can be fixed...even on a solid axle. Probably cost less than another set of tires.

Harpo

If your trailer is not level it will scuff the inside or outside tread. If you look at your axle it probably has a upward arch to it, thats normal. If the tounge is to high or to low it will throw the tires out of alignment due to the configuration of the axle.

I had the same problem with my'99 PT185. Tracker replaced the axle at no cost to me(long story) however, that still did not solve the problem. I agree that they "skimped" on the axle wall thickness or diameter for the weight the trailer is carrying. I just had my radials remounted and balanced so now the wear is on the outside. My tires were not as bad as your picture shows. I have roughly 3000 miles on them.

From what I found on the internet, the problem is I believe negative camber. The only way you can correct this is to bend the axle. From the same article it stated you need 1 deg. positive camber. This basically translates that the top of the wheel should be out around a 1/4" further than the bottom in the no load state. Then when weight is applied the axle will flex and you end up straight. I printed the article complete with pics on different types of tire wear associated with trailers and the fix. Except I do not remember where I put it or the website I got it from.

I also read, and you can get this from the Discount Tire website, that they strongly recommend inflating you tires to the max rated pressure listed on the tire. It is an interesting article.

Take this for whatever you may seem its worth, for I am not expert. Carl

Latest posts

Back