Tire Problems

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Wiley

Reaction score
I have a PT 175 and the right tire is wearing out twice as fast as the other tire. By wearing out the tire is cupping bad, its not showing any adnormal wear on the sides or center. The wheel bearings are good and I had the tires balanced when they were fairly new. Any ideas on what would cause this?

Pressure is usually the culprit with the cuppiing on bia ply tires. Mkae sure thet are at 50 PSI and no less. That's why the junk is coming off mine and getting some Marathons soon:cool:

The trailer tires on my PT175 did the same thing. I just put some Goodyear Marathons on the trailer within the last month so it will be awhile before I know if this solved the problem. I will try to keep the air pressure up to specs and think this was a big part of my problem with the originals.

My original bias plys are severly cupped and I have always been careful to maintain proper tire pressure. I'm wondering how much life they still have in them. Like I said, they are cupped but no where is the cupping down below the tread. Do you all think I should replace them or do they still a few more trips to the lake left in them?

I asked at Wal-Mart if they could order the Goodyear Marathons and they said they could but couldn't give me a price because I didn't have the size with me. I've always found Wal-Mart and Sam's to be the best price around on tires. I'm sure they'll be cheaper than the Goodyear dealer.

Harpo

A buddy of mine who had a 185 has the same problem with the cupping on the bias tires. He always kept them pressured up right, they lasted him like two years. THe replaced them with the good years and when ht ereaded the boat after three years trhey still looked like new with no cupping.

Harpo, tire rack is the cheapest you will find on the marathons. right now they have the 175/80 13 ( the size you need if i remember correctly) for $53 on sale right now $56 if you need the 185's

Check out this link...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?make=Goodyear&model=Marathon+Radial

I had radials (NOT Goodyear Marathons) on my previous boat trailer and they also cupped terribly on the sides. I got a deal from a friend on a couple of Goodyear Marathons and replaced them. I went the extra step when I got them mounted and had them BALANCED and they wore perfectly from that point on. As well as wearing better, the ride was noticeably better after balancing the tired. I won't own another trailer without getting the tires balanced. Before I spend the $$ for radials, I would try balancing the tires and I would be willing to bet that the wear will be quite a bit better. Of course it doesn't matter if they are balanced or not if the correct pressure isn't maintained.

Bryan

Mine have been balanced from day one and they still cupped:(

I tried to give Tracker the benefit and the doubt; but after reading this thread it seems that Tracker just put out some junk tires that last about 2 years.

If it were a car or truck I would tell you it needed shocks, but since it's a trailer with to much spring and not enough boat, it still needs shocks. The cupping is cause by the tire skipping down the road at times. It can be cured with tire pressure but you have to find the sweet spot. Radials are better and in the long run worth the investment. The bad news is once it starts it can not be corrected.

BF

50 PSI,balanced and checked all the time...they're just junk tires. Two different boats in 10 years with the SAME tires and the SAME problems so I'm goin' with junk! :lol:

Just about any bias ply trailer tire is going to be junk compared to a radial tire. Not even in the same league. As soon as my bias ply tires wear just a bit more, radials will be one there for sure.

Bryan

I wonder how much/long you guys trailer your boats each year, or did I get 2 good ones? My 2000 Tracker tires looked brand new after 5.5 years, but the boat/trailer was garaged for that whole time, and with the exception of the Kentucky Rally in 2004 and taking the boat to Tracker once a year 70 miles round trip, my weekly trailering is on averge about 15 miles round trip. The 1999 Nitro I bought from Rich I believe also has the original Tracker tires and is in the same perfect shape, but again, he didn't trailer it very far.

Probably 4000 to 5000 miles.....

It's kinda' funny also that on mine the right side started and I checked the PSI and it was a little low, so I kept it at 50 PSI and started noticing some scalloping but, nothing major. Other side was fine.

After one year that tire had to be taken off and replaced with my brand new spare. Other side at this time was wearing on the outside and inside edges only but, still not bad.

Two years later and both are cupping just something terrible. I've dealt with alot of tires but, never again a set of bias ply:(

My 94 was the same way until I replaced em' with car radials and it was fine after that:huh:

My bias tires wore out in two seasons as well...one side was waaaaaay worse than the other.

Went to Discount Tire and got some off-brand trailer radials (I think they're Carliyles sp?)...

Anyway...after 3 more seasons there is NO sign of wear...

az

I have considered the Carlisle's...seems they're not a problem unless your runnin' alot of weight.

I have them on my little boat and have had them on for about 6 years with no rotation or balance....no problems but for the big boat it is goodyear Marathons.

TOXIC

Just want to thank everyone for the reply. I have pulled this boat and trailer from Mississippi to Missouri several times.. Think I will try the Goodyears..

Latest posts

Back