thieves at NY rest stop

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Macaluso

Reaction score
At a recent club a member told us about a incident that happened to him at a rest stop on the New York Thruway . He and his family were returning home to NJ from a vacation with his ranger which had a cover on it in from upstate NY when they decided to stop at a rest stop south of Catskill NY . He figures that they were there about 45 minutes . They then continued on their way home . A couple of day later he deiced to go fishing . He takes the cover off and discovers that his trolling motor and both depth finders were gone! Apparently while he and his family were inside having something to eat someone removed the boat cover and stole his stuff ! Luckily his insurance company was willing to work with him since he didn

Tom, "A couple of day later he deiced to go fishing "....who's to say it didn't happen when he got back home? It sucks that it happened, but he needs to consider all possibilities if he wants the police to find who did it. Chances are they won't anyway. Sucks. :angry:

Tom,

It sux that he had his stuff ripped off, but I'm not suprised....I watch COPS all of the time.

I travel back and forth on the NY thru way for work and it's like being in a different country when you get south of Albany. I always try to have my truck visible when I stop to eat at the service areas.

Bob G.

Gotcha! The thruway is a baaaad place. I stopped there on my way to SC with my truck and a open trailer FULL of tools. I was VERY quick inside. Only place worse in Troy NY. Don't even stop at the stop signs if you have nice rims!!! ;)

Man I hate a damned thief. I'm sorry for your trouble Tom. An honest working man can't stop without worrying about what might happen to everything he owns.

When I was fishing a lot, I would only stop at places where I could see my boat or who I was with, or I, would stay with the boat while one of us went inside and got carryout food to eat while driving down the road. Man that's a shame.

Uncle Billy

These 'parasites' are everywhere......when someone catches them in the act and they get shot or beat with a bat.....they get what they deserve ! kenny

Worst I ever heard of was at Lake George, in NY. Nice little community, but we had a Fed tourney and a bunch of us were at a little motel. A guy I know goes out to leave in the morning and his prop and TM are gone. The next guy over.......his WHOLE lower unit and prop are gone.

The last guy who had an older boat (and apparently nothing worth stealing) goes to leave, and just for spite the thieves loosened all the lugs on his trailer tires. He makes a turn out of the driveway and the tires fall off and the trailer drops, pushing his skeg and prop into the black top and bottoming out his trailer frame. :angry:

Hey Rob,

You fishing the Northern Bass Open out of Ticonderoga this weekend?

Mark

Can't. I have some side work to do, just to make the ends meet! Still don't have the truck back, or boat fixed, and the loaner car my buddy gave me blew a head gasket. Then I blew a brake line on my wife's Bonneville the other day. When it rains.....it's a tsunami.....for me anyways!

Latest posts

Back