The right transom saver for my motor???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Glover

Reaction score
I lost the transom saver/motor toter, whatever you call it, for my 1997 Merc 75hp. It fit over the 1: square stud on the rear trailer bar and, most and best of all, the yoke at the other end held that motor dead straight ahead during driving. All I could find so far at a Tracker dealer is the one with the 2" rubber piece at the end to cradle the motor. Those don't work worth a hoot. The motor leans over to one side within a few feet of driving away and finally, the rubber just splits and falls off.

I really can't remember what the good one looked like, but it seems to me it had a metal and rubber Y shaped cradle, not just rubber.

Anyone help me with this?

Jack

One of these?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_1055____SearchResults

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_1058____SearchResults

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_20957____SearchResults

Jim C: Thanks for the quick reply. Well, I don't know, but I've seen these ads before for transom savers like this, and what puzzles me is, they show a boat end of the thing that fits over a round axle/cross bar/ whatever, but not the little 1" square stud that comes with Tracker trailers....I've had two, and that stud was there on both of them. So how do I modify one of the ones you posted to fit the stud on the trailer frame? Once again, thanks for your help.

Jack

Jack,

I've got a good transom saver, but what I do is stretch a bungee cord from my throttle, thru the steering wheel and back to the throttle. I use a cloth-type covered cord with rubber coated hooks and it needs very little tension. Holds that bugger straight, even when I traverse dirt roads on the way to my favorite lake. Good Luck.

JP

Zip, I know exactly what you're talking about on the little square stud. My Pro Team 185 had that same thing and the transom saver was held in with a clevis pin. I remember one time the rubber Y part you're talking about split on mine. I was able to get a new rubber thing at my Tracker dealer (that was before BPS came to town) . I'd bet that they can get you the whole transom saver. Worth a phone call anyway.

Another idea you might check out... The round part you're talking about is suppose to go over a roller on the trailer. I don't know for sure but it might be removable, leaving a square hole just about the size of the stud you have. Or it could be cut off with a hack saw.

OK, SoonerFan, I had a guy tell me about doing just that...buy one of the Swivel Ease models and cut off the square rod. I was just a little reluctant to try that at about $60 for the Swivel Ease then whack it with a saw, but maybe that's the way to go.

Thanks, everyone....I'll get this worked out and your help is greatly appreciated.

Jack

Hey Jack:

I would agree with what the others said - you can try to cut off the end of one of the commercial transom savers and drill holes for the pin that Tracker's use. I had the same type of transom saver you had with my old PT175. It was a solid piece of Y-shaped rubber with no metal support. Fortunately, it held up well and still worked very well to the day I sold the boat. If there's a BPS near you, might be worth checking out. There are TS that cost a lot less than $60. Frankly, I think the Tracker trailer version tends to be a little on the cheap side.

I have a spare one in the shed, I will check tomorrow to see if the end is removable or if you would have to chop the end off and drill it. I changed over to the swivel ease that fits into the engine brackets and love it.

BF

Latest posts

Back