The new World War II Memorial in Washington

• Thread starter John Astrello [URL]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/486
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Just finished reading the article on MSNBC this morning about the WWII memorial in Washington. It's a great read, and has some very touching moments/descriptions in it.

I am very glad that it is now finished, and ready for viewing. It's a long time past due.

Recently, I attempted to retrieve my fathers service record. He died of cancer, back in the 50's, and I have almost nothing of his. I was pleased to get in the mail, a copy of his service record from the Army Air Corps. Other than seeing his signature (for the first time in my life), the other thing that I saw there, made by doubly proud.

He served in Normandy, the Ardenne and several other war theatres in Europe. His 'tour' in the Army was from spring of 1944, through late spring/early summer of 1945.

I will be very proud, to visit this memorial sometime in the future. I'm hoping that my sister and brother will be able to join me there, when I go.

I believe that WWII may well be the finest time in our Country's history. The 400,000 plus that gave their lives, defending freedom, have always had a special place in my heart. I will now be able to see a fitting tribute to those fine men and women who fought so valiantly during that time.

Tex
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4866492/

Long overdue... Well deserved and from what I have seen a genuinely heroic monument...

TT,

Awesome you get to at least get to know your dad liek that. Man, that is great.

Also, I second Toxic and Bill. You better let us know when you all are in town!! I have a basement and a spare room that you all can stay at. Save some big cash on the motel rates!!!

Tox, you can see that from your office????

Carlos

Close, but I'm blocked by a few buildings. I'll tell you one thing the fourth of July fireworks from the roof of my building is a sight to behold, we overlook the mall.

TOXIC

I am overdue for a visit downtown (Washington). I want to see the new memorial, the Korean memorial, revisit the "Wall" and go to Arlington again. If you can see these memorials and not have goosebumps as big as apples, you have no feelings at all. It does, truly take it out of you, but to pay homage and respect to all of these fallen heroes personally does me a lot of good.

The Viet Nam memorial has special meaning for me personally as does the Confederate Circle at Arlington where my grand father and great grandfather are buried. BUT, of you get to this area, please try to see all of these. Take my word for it, you will not regret it.

Bill

Latest posts

Back