Band of Brothers - Darrell Shifty Powers

• Thread starter John Astrello [URL]http://www.tricities.com/tri/ne
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Following up on the thread started by FatRap, I got an email this morning in my inbox. It's 'orgin' is unknown, and whether or not the facts that the author claims are true (about meeting Shifty during an airplane flight), the sentiment and other information is fitting.

One of the "Band of Brothers" soldiers died on June 17, 2009.

We're hearing a lot today about big splashy memorial services.

I want a nationwide memorial service for Darrell "Shifty" Powers.

Shifty volunteered for the airborne in WWII and served with Easy Company of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, part of the 101st Airborne Infantry. If you've seen Band of Brothers on HBO or the History Channel, you know Shifty. His character appears in all 10 episodes, and Shifty himself is interviewed in several of them.

I met Shifty in the Philadelphia airport several years ago. I didn't know 'Who' he was at the time. I just saw an elderly gentleman having trouble reading his ticket. I offered to help, assured him that he was at the right gate, and noticed the "Screaming Eagle", the symbol of the 101st Airborne, on his hat.

Making conversation, I asked him if he'd been in the 101st Airborne or if his son was serving. He said quietly that he had been in the 101st. I thanked him for his service, and then asked him when he served, and how many jumps he made.

Quietly and humbly, he said "Well, I guess I signed up in 1941 or so, and Was in until sometime in 1945 . . . " at which point my heart skipped.

At that point, again, very humbly, he said "I made the 5 training jumps at Toccoa, and then jumped into Normandy . . . . do you know where Normandy is?" At this point my heart stopped.

I told him yes, I know exactly where Normandy was, and I know what D-Day was. At that point he said "I also made a second jump into Holland, into Arnhem."

I was standing with a genuine war hero . . . . and then I realized that it was June, just after the anniversary of D-Day.

I asked Shifty if he was on his way back from France, and he said "Yes. And it's real sad because these days so few of the guys are left, and those that are, lots of them can't make the trip." My heart was in my throat and I didn't know what to say.

I helped Shifty get onto the plane and then realized he was back in Coach, while I was in First Class. I sent the flight attendant back to get him and said that I wanted to switch seats. When Shifty came forward, I got up out of the seat and told him I wanted him to have it, that I'd take his in coach.

He said "No, son, you enjoy that seat. Just knowing that there are still some who remember what we did and still care is enough to make an old man very happy." His eyes were filling up as he said it. And mine are brimming up now as I write this.

Shifty died on June 17 after fighting cancer.

There was no parade.

No big event in Staples Center.

No wall to wall, back to back 24x7 news coverage.

No weeping fans on television.

And that's not right.

Let's give Shifty his own Memorial Service, online, in our own quiet way. Please forward this email/information to everyone you know.

Especially to the veterans.

Tex
http://www.tricities.com/tri/news/l...others_hero_darrell_swifty_powers_dies/25556/

Rest in Peace Shifty and God bless all those that served in the past and are serving today. We owe them all a debt of gratitude.

I really appreciate your Post TT..My father was a tank commander under Patton,he had 5 bronze stars, purple heart and numerious medals that I have been putting together for the great geandkids.....My dad was all over Africa,Italy and battle of the buldge to save the 101st.I spent my time In the Army, dad and I never really talked much about his or mine..I wish we had..He passed In 1991..People now seem to realize that the veterans are a litttle more than just people on the street..It was alot different In the 60s and 70s..I am so glad that things are better for the HEROS who serve..

We have alot of heros on this board..Very few want the accolades or the big fan fare but we have quite a few..Not just the Military but we have Police firemen and a Bunch of Veterans and family of veterans...Some of us have awards some were just everyday military....Everyone should stop and think,were would we be without them...I know My daughters,grandaughters,great grandaughters all will always respect Veterans... I truly believe that One Injustic was Carlos Hathcock should of received the Medal of Honor..In all I have beee ntru and seen he Is one that earned It ,But I know there are many more....God Bless all TRUE Heros...Uncle Billy earned his place there also...AIRBORNE (Ranger ) ALL THE WAY...... Just my Opinion...All WW2 Veterans alive and gone on to the better palce GOD BLESS JR...... U.S. Army

Our brave men and women, fought and died to make America what is was..... Now we have a Joker who probally wasn't born in this Country throwing it away. Where all the ones who voted for change???? I don't see any defending him. I can only guess how our Vets feel.

Bubby:angry:

We will never know what they all went through during those battles. I have a hard time watching military documentaries/movies these days without tearing up and partialy feeling their pain. I am proud to have served and have the utmost respect for all of our vets.

God bless them all past and present!!!

Mark

"AIRBORNE" SHIFTY, "ALL THE WAY"

Uncle Billy

Co.E, 2/501

101 Abn. Div.

Also, with all the media hype around pedophiles and others who passed away last week I guess this was missed. Let's not let him go unnoticed please.

Ed Freeman

You

Latest posts

Back